Fun for YOUNG children in Paris??

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 07:07 AM
miriam thiele

Fun for YOUNG children in Paris??

I will be traveling to Paris with my family (children ages 3 and 6) in a week and am looking for fun ideas/ places to visit/ family friendly hotels. Anyone brave enough to venture to the city of lights with small ones have suggestions?

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:04 AM
elaine

I haven't traveled with kids to Paris but I have some suggestions that I compiled from various sources
http://travelwithkids.about.com/travel/
travelwithkids
www.ivillage.com/travel/archive
www.familytravelforum.com
www.flyingwithkids.com
www.travelwithyourkids.com
www.tinytravelers.net
www.francetourism.com/activities/family.htm
www.lagenda.com in French, click on enfants
www.paris.org

local agencies that can provide English-speaking babysitters include (1999):
Ababa, tel 01 45 49 46 46
Allo Service Maman tel 01 42 67 99 37
Allo Maman Poule tel 01 47 48 01 01
Baby Sitting tel 01 4;6 37 51 24
Also, check with your hotel staff re: babysitters. They may know someone personally that they can recommend.

Getting around Paris with a stroller is challenging. Not all metro stations have escalators. Buses may be a better idea since they are not as crowded as the metro in off-peak hours. Some museums will require you to check your stroller at the entrance.
For activities geared towards children, call the CIDJ at 01 44 49 12 00
Le Pariscope and L'Officiel des Spectacles are two publications that feature info in English on activities for children. Pariscope's website is www.pariscope.fr
continued

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:05 AM
elaine

The most-often recommended place for kids is La Cite des Sciences et de l'Undustrie, otherwise known as La Villette. This is a museum complex with different offerings for kids aged 3-12 (Cite des Enfants)

The Jardin d'Acclimatation (open 10-6 daily) on the edge of the Bois de Boulogne (phone 01 40 67 90 82) offers puppet shows, archery range, miniature golf, a small zoo, etc. Kids will enjoy riding to it on the train which at this time of year operates from Porte Maillot Wed, Sat, & Sun afternoons

On the left bank is the Jardin de Luxembourg, which is crowded on weekends. The grass is not for playing on, but they have puppet shows, a pond to sail toy boats in, swings, and a playground area for kids under 6.

Parks where kids can play on the grass include Jardin de Babylone (rue de Babylone between rue Vaneau and rue du Bac, on the left bank); the Pre Catalan section of the Bois de Boulogne, and the grassy area near the fountains in front of the Palais de Chaillot, across from the Eiffel Tower.
The small Jardin des Enfants aux Halles on the right bank near the Forum des Halles, phone 01 45 08 07 18 has tunnels, mountains, and slides to climb on. It is closed in bad weather. Reservations can be made, and the staff speaks English

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:06 AM
elaine

Disneyland Paris: For hotel information call the hotel reservations number. In Paris that's 01 60 30 60 30. You can get there from Paris on the RER train system. Hotels there are expensive, and it will be cheaper for you to stay in Paris. You can avoid admission lines by buying tickets in advance, either at the Disney store in Paris (44 ave des Champs Elysees, phone 01 45 61 45 25) or from the Office du Tourisme (127 av des Champs Elysees). In Disneyland, the visitor information center has free maps and guides. www.disneylandparis.com

On the RER system you want line A4 and you get off at Marne LaVallee/Chessy just outside the main gates. The trip is about 40 minutes.
There are also direct shuttle buses from Orly and Charles de Gaulle airports directly to Disneyland.

Parc Asterix is said to be a big thumbs up for any kid under 12. Very little Americanization in evidence (and yet, still user friendly). www.parcasterix.com (English)
Information: tel 03 44 62 34 34, fax 03 44 62 32 94
in Sept Oct open Wed, Sat, Sun only.
Parc Asterix has 7 separate sections, shows, boutiques, 40 restaurants. Water rides, roller coasters, water rafts over rapids, dolphin pool.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 12:37 AM
francesca

Try taking the bus instead of the metro to avoid endless stairs. Sitting outdoors in cafes will help you avoid cigarette smoke. I heartily recommend the Jardin d'Acclimatation (metro: Sablons). It is perfect for the under 7 set. La Villette is quite far from central Paris and is really a better place for older children.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 12:39 AM
francesca

another thing: friends of mine with small kids who just visited here from the US liked the Citadines chain. No charm, but because the Citadines are really efficiency apartments rather than hotel rooms, they are more family friendly: larger, with a small kitchen. Another chain like this is Orion. Good luck and send mail if you have any more specific questions.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 02:10 AM
TJ

BIG thumbs up for Jardin d'Acclimitation. Carnival-type rides, mini-zoo, playground, circus, food stands & restaurants, all in a beautiful park setting that's been around since the mid-1800s. My 3-year-old loves it there. A great way to live like real Parisians -- you'll be the only "tourists" there. Note that it's a few blocks walk from the Sablons metro, which (like all metros) is not that easy to negotiate with a stroller. You may want to splurge for a taxi.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 06:41 AM
anh

We were in Paris last May with our 5 and 8 year olds and they loved the bateau mouche, the Eiffel Tower, any crepe stands, ice cream on Ile st Louis (we had to make a trip there once every other day), any neighborhood playground we happened to walk by on the way to the metro or bus stop. They especially loved the chateaux ( we went to the loire valley for 3 days). One children's museum we went to was the one in the Grand Palais (hands on and lots of fun for 6 and older).

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 07:08 AM
e

Check timeout.paris web iste: have a kids section as does their book. The book Paris for DUmmies also has good ideas despite stupid title.
Go for creperies, italian--pizza,
best best western web site or libertel are all good choices; an apt. rental is best frankly if you can afford it. Budget is key here.
Eiffel tour--yes walk up it, a piece of cake; stops at each level; most french parks have little carousels or similiar; brasseries; McDonalds arent so bad there; you must take the canal ride to La Villete: see web for Paris Canaux:
just bring along some pain chocolate;
Rodin Museum is good if 2 parents--one to mind kids in garden while other is i
inside; arch de triompe also great; asterix is supposed to be very good--shuttle bus from degaulle & a hotel on premises!