Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

frustration setting in regarding trenitalia

Apr 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

i've tried to no avail for the past 5 days to book overnight tickets: vienna to florence. half the time it tells me that the system is down and the other half of the time it simply goes to blank screens.

any suggestions?
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

actually i tried logging in and checking tickets. did it italian so i'm not 100% sure it's right, but it says that i can't buy them...go figure.
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM
J62

did you try the English version - there may be some messages you're not picking up.
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

tried both english and italian. when i do it logged in, it goes to the italian site by default. did it, but ends up saying ticket not available for purchase.

did it in english and italian from the main page (not logged in) and it gives me the shopping cart to click, but it goes no where.
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM

How far in advance are you trying to book? Somewhere along the way I picked up that you can only book 2 months out..
Linda
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I think some international nite trains you cannot buy tickets for online. I have been trying to pre purchase a ticket for Rome to Geneva but not having any luck. I also tried a couple agents here in the US who seemed to have good connections/knowledge of Trenitalia but they could not make it happen either. So I will have to wait until I get there - hopefully I can purchase it then otherwise there will be a long days journey on the train!
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
J62

Did you try the Austrian railway site?

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/oebb.w02/query.exe/en
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I am avoiding my "real" work as usual, so have been playing with the trenitalia site per your question. For some reason, I was able to get to a purchase screen (with the little cart) but ONLY if I got there by clicking on "international travel" first, not just the regular search option. I could only get it to work leaving from stazione sud (or south) in Vienna, and no others. The cart doesn't go to a purchase page though...Have you tried e-mailing for help? (sorry if you already know all this!) [email protected]
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

sorry, i'm trying for may 20...what's funny is that i have actually made it to the point where it asks for my username/psswd and then says the system is unavailable.

is there much risk in waiting to get tickets there?

i have tried the oebb site and it takes me to a ticket-by-post site which is all in german.
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

NatalieM, thanks. i think that's how i get to that point as well. just getting further is not working. i actually figured they're closed italy now and probably for the weekend, but i'll shoot them an email anyways.
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM

ucsun...I don't want to rain on your parade but I emailed Trenitalia last month when I was having issues with the web site and they never answered. I finally got help here and wound up booking on the Italian version (using a translating web site along side) with no problems.
Apr 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Dejais-which translating website did you use?

sorry to hijack your post ucsun.
Apr 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

you could use http://world.altavista.com/
...no worries.
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM

I thought you could only book and pay for trenitalia tickets when you were IN Italy - that has been the way in the past. They wouldn't let internationals buy on their website - don't ask me how they know?!
Apr 29th, 2005, 04:10 PM

May 20 -- only 3 weeks left. I envy you to be going to europe in this nicest of seasosn, ucsun.

What did you choose as your final itinerary -- or "itinery", to adopt the popular Fodors spelling.

I hope your train leaves Vienna early enough that you can see some of the wonderful mountain scenery en route, if you take the route via Venice (or do you plan to travel via the Brenner pass?)
Apr 29th, 2005, 05:28 PM

ChicagoDallasGirl....I used www.freetranslation.com. With that open in one window and the Trenitalia site in another, it was very easy to book seats.

Amanda...No. You can definitely book before you go through the Web. I did and got the promotion rate of 29 and 39 Euros. It was great.
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

how risky is the prospect of waiting to buy these tickets till i get to vienna?

tedgale, i am hoping to get on the 7:30 pm train. that should allow for some daylight, but i'll miss most of the good stuff i think.

off-topic for tedgale:
i actually posted in another thread when we had a discusion last. as for the itinerary, prague, vienna, florence, and venice we're the final choices. i lament being so close to budapest and not going, but life is full of choices.

the rational behind not going to budapest is that once we finish with this trip i aim to go see turkey/greece or egypt next. completely move away from western europe. but i do hope to one day to see bucharest, krakow, and budapest. maybe a driving trip one day.

i love my final 2 weeks of May trips. but then again not having time off between the trips makes it tough, but decompression is coming soon! leaving may 13...can't wait.
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM
ira

Hi ucsun,

The Italian language site is working this morning. The English is not.

Apr 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks ira. just tried it and got the following message:
Nessuna soluzione trovata
?
i even tried some random dates and i got the same message.
Apr 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Hi ucsun, my Italian is pretty pathetic but believe the message you are getting on the trenitalia website means more or less "Noone has an idea for the solution". Good grief, that seems strange.

But I know that soluzione means solution. And nessuna means noone or none. Trovata means idea.

Hopefully a true Italian speaker will see this and translate properly for you. Good wishes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO