Frustrating posting system on Traveltalk

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:36 AM
David

Frustrating posting system on Traveltalk

I don't know about the rest of you....but I find the posting system pretty frustrating on this travel talk forum. I post a message (question) and I am very careful to include keywords so that the message will post ( at least I thought) in the appropriate forums. Once I post it I can see it for awhile in the general Europe postings ( usually it is about Greece) but I never see it listed in any of the keyword forums or searches, and most frustrating, is that a day later it is almost impossible to find the message again in the general listings with out spending tons of time trying to track it down on top of all the new postings that readers have left. Am I not getting it? Help.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:51 AM
amy

David: When the messages are being indexed, this board works better than other travel forums I've seen. Unfortunately sometimes the messages are not indexed for quite some time and sometimes there are other glitches. It's uneven. We've had periods where it seemed as though we had instant indexing, yet there was also an indexing "hole" for this past summer where nothing got indexed. But overall, once the periodic indexing is done, the board works quite well.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
David

Thanks.... is there a secret to keeping track of your posted question to review any responses....I seem to lose it after a few hours and have a hard time finding it again...especially if the messages are not indexed as you describe.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Betsy

David, this only works if the messages are indexed, but you can put your name and e-mail address into the text search box to bring up your messages. Otherwise, I think you have to scroll back to find them. Anyone know of a better way?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Steve James

David - I've just run a quick search and found several of your posts.<BR><BR>In the 'Text search' box just enter<BR><BR>David<BR><BR>- then highlight Greece in the subject search box.<BR><BR>Click 'find' and you're there!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Tina

When scrolling down on the left side click on the right side of the mouse and add to favourites. Have you tried a subject/country search? I seldom have trouble if I remember to choose a country when posting a new message. Text search is a tad more difficult because of the different type of indexing by Fodors.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:58 AM
David

Using my email address to find the post in the text search is very clever.... and it does list a lot of my past postings.... unfortunately it does not list the most current ones ( I think it has to do with how fast they &quot;index&quot; ( as described above) I have tried watching the time I post and going back to the chronological time in the list of posts but if someone responds it throws it off........

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
Rex

David,<BR><BR>when the indexing has been badly neglected (as is the case right now - - no indexing uodate since November 11), the closest thing to a secert is to keep track of the URLs of the posts you make (or want to follow).<BR><BR>For example, the URL for THIS thread is<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34383812<BR><BR>You can capture the URL of any thread (as soon as you post it, or once you find it), by right clicking on the message header in the lefthand column - - then choose &quot;Copy Shortcut&quot; (with Internet Explorer), and the URL will be stored in your clipboard. From there, you can paste it anywhere.<BR><BR>Unless and until you locate any more recent posts you've made (i.e., since November 11), this can't help you. there are eight posts retrievable under the name &quot;littleandlewis&quot;, 7 of which are under Greece.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
David

pure genius......

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
huh?

More like pure stupidity on the part of Fodors for making its users have to guess how to do the most basic things here.<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:13 AM
David

I guess they figure if we are savoy enough to travel the world... we should be able to figure out how to &quot;travel&quot; in this site........

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:15 AM
carol

As a new user I was like David...pretty perplexed. Wow! Thanks for all the help!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:34 PM
David

What does this mean?:<BR><BR>Author: ttt ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/02/2002, 04:54 pm<BR>Message: topping<BR><BR>I have seen it before.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
xxx or ttt. it doesn't matter

&quot;topping&quot; refers to the practice of adding some inconsequential little &quot;reply&quot;, with the only goal being to move the message back up to the &quot;top&quot;, on the left hand column.<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
David

I could see the author of the original thread message doing that to get another viewing by the readers.... but why would anyone else other that the original author do that?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:59 PM
perhaps

perhaps if the person had the same question in mind or was just interested in the answer??