Reload this Page >

Frustrated in attempt to book UK train tickets

Feb 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to book rail tickets starting from the UK site;

www.nationalrail.co.uk

This site only displays times and prices. Then you have to select a vendor to actually purchase the tickets.

The problem I am having is that when I try to create an account on any of those sites in order to buy a ticket online, I am required to put in a post code. However, although the sites do show United States as a possible country, they apparently do not recognize US postal codes as valid entries. Since the postal code field is required, I am unable to complete the registration but am caught in a Catch-22 situation.

Has any US resident successfully ordered tickets online for a UK rail trip, and if so, can you please tell me which site you used?

By the way, the sites are all requiring me to put in a postal address, even though I said I wanted to pick up the tickets at a Fast Ticket booth, and not have them mailed. ARRGGHHH!
Feb 4th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Yeah. I really hate that website. It's not very user-friendly. You could try thetrainline.com. It might be better for post codes. I don't remember, because currently i have a UK postcode.

Feb 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I've booked trains to York via GNER's web site three times in the past year. It's always a little wonky but eventually it works and then I pick up the tix in London at a ticket machine (be sure to bring the credit card used for purchase).

I believe different companies service specific routes/cities so it might help if you post where you'd like to go. In addition to thetrainline you could check qjump.co.uk and virgin.

Good luck.
Feb 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

I finally was able to book tickets on the Virgin site, but I had to start over from the beginning --coming in Virgin's front door, creating an account there, and then putting in the route information. It was impossible to book the tickets starting from the route information on the nationalrail site, at least without a pre-existing account on one of the order sites. When trying to create an account in the midst of the order, I would get caught in an endless loop and never be able to complete the process.

In addition, the order sites simply didn't work at all using a Mac with Safari. I had to go in with Explorer to get it to display the order screen -- obviously bad Microsoft-centric coding.
Feb 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Try Qjump.
Feb 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM

nonnafelice, glad you got your tix. I have a Mac w/Safari too but used I/E until January when I booked my last tix. So thanks for the heads up. Have a terrific time.