Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fruit, Vegetables, and Meat at Newark, NJ Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fruit-vegetables-and-meat-at-newark-nj-airport-842393/)

adrienne May 29th, 2010 02:23 PM

Fruit, Vegetables, and Meat at Newark, NJ Airport

I recently flew back into Newark Airport and there is a new procedure at the International Arrivals terminal. In additional to that adorable food sniffing beagle, you must put your large luggage through a security scanner that looks for fruit, vegetables, and meat. So if you're bringing any of these items into the US be aware there are more stringent measures to find and confiscate them.

Small purses and small day packs are exempt from the scanner.

Underhill May 29th, 2010 03:56 PM

The scanners for fruit, veggies, and meats have been around for a while; they're located in the agricultural inspection area. Even if you put all your food products in one bag, all your luggage will still be put through the scanners.

It's always a good idea to check the Ag web site to see what is and what is not being allowed into the U.S. before you head out on a trip.

adrienne May 29th, 2010 05:13 PM

The scanners weren't there six months ago which was the last time I came through International Arrivals so this was new for me.

Sher May 29th, 2010 07:19 PM

I haven't come through since last August but I don't remember having to put my luggage through a special scanner.
I remember the dog, though.

adrienne May 30th, 2010 12:33 AM

You hand in your declaration paper and then before you're allowed to exit into the terminal you have to put your bags on the belt for the scanning machine. It wasn't a big deal when I came in the other day as there weren't many flights arriving but it could be chaos if there are lots of arriving flights at the same time.

I'm wondering if Continental is closing down it's international arrivals since this is the second time I've come into Terminal B rather than Terminal C which is the Continental terminal, including Continental international arrivals.

AGM_Cape_Cod May 30th, 2010 03:08 AM

Are they requiring all exiting passengers to have their luggage scanned? I came into Boston yesterday at the same time as 3 other international flight and there was a line amost the length of the baggage claims hall just to turn in your customs forms. I have had my baggage scanned in Boston when I have put items on the customs forms which for some reason trigger a search.

adrienne May 30th, 2010 04:03 AM

<< Are they requiring all exiting passengers to have their luggage scanned >>

I can't say that everyone definitely has to scan their bags. I think my flight was the only incoming one at the time and my bags were among the first off the plane (I finally got lucky!). So there weren't a lot of people at the time - my flight only held 172 people plus crew. Everyone ahead of me was told to scan their bags.

I don't know what happens when there are multiple planes arriving and hundreds of passengers.

Underhill May 30th, 2010 10:32 AM

Our usual port of entry is Dallas, and there definitely are the scanners for agricultural products at that airport. You're required to list foods on the customs declaration form, and once you do it seems to be an automatic trip to the scanner area--even if the foods aren't on the proscribed list. The extra time required can make things difficult if you have a connecting flight.

However, it's never a good idea to omit food products from the customs form or try to bring in something illegal that could damage agricultural or other crops in the U.S. That's especially true of meat and dairy products when there's an outbreak of foot and mouth disease in a country you visit.

ruthruthruth Jun 13th, 2010 10:33 AM

I hate EWR!Awful airport!

Gretchen Jun 13th, 2010 11:01 AM

WHY would you bring in the things that aren't allowed anyway. It's a big fine, and for the fruit, DOES threaten our farmers. You can bring in cheese, tinned meats.