Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fruit lovers: What's the best, "new" fruit/veggie you've found while traveling?

Apr 16th, 2002, 08:11 AM
red

I am hooked.

I started eating cherimoyas while in Spain for a month and can't get them out of my head! I can get them at a local Sutton Place Gourmet, but they are $9 a pound -- and a good cherimoya is usually a pound and a half. But still, I buy them...

(They were so cheap in Spain!)

Any other fruits and vegetables you've discovered that you'd care to pass along? (I would have never looked twice at a $15 fruit otherwise.)

Apr 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Marsha

The best "new-to-me" fruit that we found while staying on South Padre Island are "pineapple" oranges. These oranges are smaller and sweeter than navel oranges, but do have seeds. We cannot get them in the upper Midwest because they do not ship well.

Apr 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Phyllis Pearsall

what is a cherimoya?

I shall have to check this out. Sutton Place you say? never heard of it.

PP

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:03 AM
kavey

We've seen wonderful selections of unusual fruit in the markets of Funchal, Madeira and Barcelona (the well known one, I forget the name, off the Ramblas).

Luckily most fruits I have liked have come eventually to the UK.

I particularly love Nashi Pears (sometimes called Chinese Pears) and custard apples, though those I learnt about from my parents who grew up in India.

Kavey

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:16 AM
red

Yes, Kavey! The cherimoya is the custard apple!

For those who've never had one, it is like eating custard out of a large fruit skin. Heavenly...

PP: Sutton Place Gourmet is a high-end specialty foods store. Sorta like Fresh Fields or Whole Foods, but smaller and more expensive.

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Ariel

Cherries in Turkey - of course I have had them at home, for $4-5 per pound in Canada. My hubby's friend took us to their family's farm where we sat under a cherry tree and eat cherries all afternoon. Sour cerry juice I also cannot get enough of. Fresh figs bought at the side of the road there are also incredible!

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:11 AM
kavey

Red
I haven't heard the custard apple called the cherimoya before!
My mum refers to it as Sherifa.
In Madeira they had great huge ones, a different variety I think.
The big seeds are so pretty and easier to cope with than the seeds in fruit like pomegranate.
I adore most fruit, especially what is called exotic fruit here in the UK, mangoes, passion fruit, paw paw, pineapple, custard apple, mango, physalis, lychee...
Sigh... I am hungry now...
Kavey

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:20 AM
ja

Oh, gosh, it's hard to pick just one. Definitely papaya in Mexico/Central America - the wimpy ones we get in our supermarkets up here don't come close - and they cost $2.00 CDN each! Passionfruit in Costa Rica - I ate 2-4 a day! Rambutan (my Philipino friends say it's called that), also in Costa Rica - looks like a lychee with long orange tendrils growing from the bumps on the skin. First tasted tinned artichokes in Cuba - try to add them to recipes whenever possible. Dried and fresh figs in Portugal. Me, too, Kavey, and I've just had my lunch!

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Heather

Kavey, what is a paw paw like? One of my favorite books as a child was "Under the Paw Paw Trees" and I always wanted to try one.

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Bill I

When we went to Munich, I just couldn't seem to get enough of the white asparagus there (along with the beer). It is much more tender & flavorful then the green stuff we get in the states. Atleast I haven't seen the white around here.

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Calgirl

Red,

Cherimoyas are grown in California, too. Pick some up (more cheaply) when visiting the left coast!

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:47 PM
MaryC

You can get the cherimoyas from Harry & David, too!!

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Barb

They aren't really "new", but not easily found here--those great Sicilian blood oranges! That great red color and sweet taste takes me to Italy...

Apr 16th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Scarlett

Figs!!!
I could eat figs all day! Never ate them until one hot summer day -when our neighbor gave us a basket of them from his fig tree.
They are great grilled too!

Apr 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Suz

Just have to agree with the white asparagus. I had it served to me in Spain, and since the stalks were so big, I expected it to be tough. NOT! It was so wonderful. Tried to eat my fill but didn't manage. Suz

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Jayelle

For me it was lychees (sp?), pineapple, and mangoes in Southeast Asia. The fresh pineapple in Thailand was the sweetest that I've ever had.

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:57 PM
peter

chicoo in india and there were 2-3 unidentified fruits we bought from a vendor in bangkok dthat were this side of heaven

Apr 16th, 2002, 04:22 PM
mimi taylor

The incomparable melon of Cavaillon, Provence, nothing like it here. Topped with some Beaume de Venice, sheer ambrosia!

Apr 16th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Gauloises

Blood oranges in Italy were the BEST!

Apr 16th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Barb

Perhaps not the "best" but certainly a fruit which generated conversation was the durian we tried while in China. Once you get past the smell the taste is pretty good.
While in Bali we noticed our hotel did not allow guests to bring durian into the rooms/cottages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO