Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Vienna to either Prague or Budapest? Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-vienna-to-either-prague-or-budapest-help-129585/)

Marcie Jun 12th, 2001 07:18 AM

From Vienna to either Prague or Budapest? Help!

We're planning a 4 day visit in Vienna and would like to travel by train to either Prague or Budapest for 3 days. Which city would you recommend? Which is the easiest train ride from Vienna?

Art Jun 12th, 2001 07:23 AM

Marcie, I loked both cities very much. Will you be taking other trips to central or eastern Europe. If you plan in the future on going to Poland you could combine that trip with Prague. It is a very hard choice, but I guess that I would choose Budapest. <BR>Budapest is also closer to Vienna. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>

peter Jun 12th, 2001 03:48 PM

both cities are worth seeing but we prefered prague-felt it was a better walking city and more to see. either choice will make you happy. good trip

mimi Jun 13th, 2001 09:22 AM

We just returned from seeing all three cities. From Vienna to Budapest by train is a little under 3 1/2 hrs. and from Vienna to Prague it is a little less than 5 1/2 hrs. Both train rides are comfortable and you must check on time of trains for there are not that many a day. I liked both Budapest and Prague but I would choose Prague for it really has more to see such as the Royal section, Jewish section, old and new town, etc. If money is a consideration Budapest is still at least 20% cheaper. We had a lovely hotel facing the Danube for only $91. a night and all our meals, which were very good, were under $25 for two with wine. We could not believe that you could drink wine and beer in a cafe for under $3.00.

kk Jun 13th, 2001 09:39 AM

Marcia, I adore both Vienna and Prague. Budapest is OK. So I guess that tells you what I pesonally would pick. I know others would disagree so it really depends very much on your own preferences which you should pick between Prague and Budapest. Overall, Prague has great architectural beauty and lots of places to hear wonderful music. I was enchanted with Prague, was there 4 days and could have stayed weeks. After 5 days in Budapest, I feel like I never need to return.

Art Jun 13th, 2001 09:44 AM

I have to politely disagree with Mimi (even if that is my sisters name). Budapest has much more to see then Prague. I spent 7 days there and could have spent more time. I re-state that both cities are great. You can walk around Prague as it is much smaller, but the metro system is so great in Budapest that you can easily get from one area of interest to another. The national museum of Budapest could easily consume 2 days whereas the one in Prague is not really worth going to, on the other hand the museum of Science and Technology in Prague is not to be missed. <BR>Cheers where ever you go. <BR>Art <BR>