Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Verona: Parma or Mantova (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-verona-parma-or-mantova-299300/)

JWright Mar 19th, 2003 06:29 PM

From Verona: Parma or Mantova

After a night in Verona we are heading towards the Cinque Terre. We are thinking of Parma as an overnight stay or possibly Mantova. Any suggestions of these cities(hotels and restraunts)or other possibilities along this route?

RaymondLuxuryYacht Mar 19th, 2003 08:34 PM

Parma: Hotel Button is a nice and affordable hotel right near the centro (but about a 15-minute walk from train station -- an easy walk, though). Friendly staff that speaks a fair amount of English. Enjoyed a nice dinner at La Greppia (from Frommers book). Overall, a charming, undervisited little town.

baldrick Mar 19th, 2003 10:02 PM

Mantova, if you want your once-in-a-lifetime culinary experience at: <BR>Dal Pescatore<BR>Bruno et Nadia Santini<BR>46013 Canneto sull'Oglio (MN) <BR>tel: 0376/723001 - fax: 0376/70304<BR><BR>This is heaven on earth. Try to make a reservation at once if tempted.

Alice_Twain Mar 20th, 2003 05:29 AM

Mantova is uluckily badly connected to the nearby cities (except Verona). If you are not driving, Parma is better.

JWright Mar 20th, 2003 07:09 AM

Alice are you saying that Mantova is difficult to drive in and out of?

ellenem Mar 20th, 2003 09:32 AM

Mantova is difficult by train--it's not on the main train line between Verona and Bologna. Good for a day trip from either place, difficult if heading further that day.

Alice_Twain Mar 20th, 2003 10:28 AM

How comes, today everyone keeps reading onlu bits of my posts and not the whole of each of them!!!<BR><BR>JWright: I said &quot;if you are NOT driving&quot;.

JWright Mar 20th, 2003 10:41 AM

Alice. I read your post, its just I couldn't make any sense of it and was asking for clarification.

LaBellaDona Mar 20th, 2003 11:38 AM

ok you two - if I have to come down there and separate you...<BR><BR>Anyway, I visited Mantova by chance - and loved it. I fouind it a little jewel of a city. Lots of history (the Gonzagas), lots of good restaurants, active families with lots of children in the piazzas - I was very impressed and would return.<BR><BR>Also visited parma - and it, too, is lovely. I just prefer Mantova...<BR>

Alice_Twain Mar 21st, 2003 05:46 AM

La Bella Donna: What? Separate us? I had just started selling tickets for the match!

cmt Sep 20th, 2003 11:00 AM

topping in case anyone else feels like commenting re Mantova

TuckH Sep 20th, 2003 11:09 AM

Faced with the exact same choice (Verona-Cinque Terre), two years ago, we chose (after research) Mantova and certainly did not regret it

Maira Sep 20th, 2003 05:32 PM

Side suggestion: I just finished a book titled &quot;The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi&quot;, a historical fiction novel which narrates the life of a Jewish young woman living on 16th-century Italy. It provides vivid descriptions of Montova and other Italian cities and life as seen by this character. The author was inspired by real-life letters found in an old attic and later published in an obscure Italian journal. A good mix of history, romance, intrigue; a great read to any Florence-Montova bound traveler.

WILLIAMFRA Sep 20th, 2003 06:18 PM

Mantova is beautiful but I still think Parma is better...The food, the wonderful center of town, the cathedral, the battistero, the center of town and if you have time..try to see one of the wonderful castle and try the prosciutto and tortelli d'erbetta or of zucca. Let me know if you need any additional information. I grew up in Parma and I am quite familiar with Mantova also..