Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Venice airport to train station in 2 hours!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:08 AM
marie

In mid May the 4 of us arrive at Marco Polo Airport at 10:30 AM and need to catch the Eurostar at San Lucia Station at 12:30. Does this 2 hours seem like a reasonable time to make connections? From Fodors most suggest the water taxi is the fastest & most reliable but also most expensive transportation Arrival into Venice by boat is superior than land taxi or bus for the view alone. To reduce the expense perhaps we can join another couple at the airport dock who also need a water taxi to the train station area. All comments welcomed.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:24 AM
xxx

The fastest way to get to Sta. Lucia from the airport is by land taxi (15 min). 2nd fastest is by express bus (20 min). If you don't mind the cost (or you're able to split it with other pax) you may take a water taxi but be sure to start your journey at or before 11:00am if you don't have your Eurostar tickets yet.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Steve James

Hello Marie,

If you choose to go by road rather than by boat, the quickest solution is to go to MESTRE Station (on the mainland) rather than Santa Lucia.
ALL trains from Santa Lucia stop at MESTRE.

Buses run regularly between the airport and Mestre, and journey time is 20 mins.

Steve

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Debbie

Marie-we did the trip the opposite(eurostar to airport) two years ago and we did a taxi from Mestre to airport for about $20.00 for 4 of us.The cab ride was under 15 minutes.We had spent the night at the Best Western Bologna in Mestre across from the train station(which I would highly recommend for those who need a great hotel-8 minutes across the water to Venice with fabulous views).Have a wonderful trip!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:14 AM
xxx

If Marie's flight is not delayed, and if she's able to get her luggage and go through customs fast enough, she'd have an opportunity for a "taste" of Venice. Mestre may always be left as a plan B if things go sour (the Eurostar leaves Mestre at 12:44pm). Suppose she's able to find another couple to share the water taxi costs. Question is: would you spend about $40 to cross the lagoon, approach Canal San Marco from the sea and follow Canal Grande all the way to the train station, or would you save $30+ and go directly to ugly Mestre?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 10:58 AM
marie

Thanks for the information to my question. We already have our tickets from San Lucia Station which eliminates the option of catching train at Mestre. Perhaps the land taxi (cab) may be the best. I assume Italian cabs can hold 4 people plus checked and carry on luggage per person. How far will the cab drop us off from the train station? I believe the vehicle parking area is known as "Roma"?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:44 AM
xxx

Marie, having the tickets from Sta. Lucia doesn't eliminate the option of catching the train in Mestre. I estimate that from Piazzale Roma to Sta. Lucia station it's about 500m (350 to the bridge, 50 across and 100m back). If you care less of having a "view" of Venice, going directly to Mestre will save you the 500 mts carrying your luggage. Depending on the amount of luggage you have, it may not fit in the trunk. The direct bus may be a better option. If you have enough time and don't mind spending some, the water taxi would take you just in front of the station entrance.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:54 AM
topper

marie - I topped the responses your husband had received last month.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Steve James

Marie - Of course, as 'xxx' says, water-taxi is the scenic option, - but I think the timing is too tight, and I wouldn't risk it myself.

Having struggled from Piazzale Roma to Santa Lucia with a suitcase once before, personally I wouldn't reccomend it. With suitcases MESTRE remains the best option for me, - unless you can change your train departure time and spend some time sightseeing in Venice.

Steve

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Anne

Marie, Ihave a shuttlebus timetable for 2002 but only until 30th March. From memory the bus is blue and takes 20mins from Marco Polo to Piazza Roma (Venice).
It is direct and we paid 2,70 Euros each which included luggage. You buy tickets inside the terminal at the ATVO office and stamp them inside bus. ATVO have a website - www.ATVO.it which may have times for May. Up until March they run every 20mins i.e 10.50am 11.20am and so on.