Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From US to Dubrovnik, # of flights & cost

Apr 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi all!

I called Pan Adriatic as well and found that flying from Minneapolis to Dubrovnik seems to be a challenge. The flight is leaving September 18th and coming back September 29th. For $1,077 (including taxes) they have us on 4 flights to get to Dubrovnik, we also have 4 flights back. That is the cheapest we've found so far, but I'm wondering how many other people have had that many connecting flights and does $1,077 sounds reasonable? It doesn't sound reasonable to me.

I was under the impression that we could fly from Minneapolis to London and London to Dubrovnik? I also read that the London to Dubrvnik flight was around $150.

Suggestions?

Thank you!
Apr 20th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I had a tough time with my flights too. I'm not doing a round trip as you are, since I am beginning my trip in Prague but my return from Dubrovnik was becoming a problem with 4 changes. Here is what I ended up doing:

On Delta: Savannah Georgia to Prague (2 plane changes) returning London Gatwick to Savannah (1 plane change) the cost of that ticket wast $1038.
Then I purchased a one way ticket for $99 on British Airways for Dubrovnik to London Gatwick. That was the cheapest(other prices were well over $1500!) and "most direct" route I could come up with, without having 4 stops.

From what I have been reading, Dubrovnik is not a easy city to access from the US.
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Syl

Check whichbudget.com to see if it pays to fly WizzAir from London to Split & bus down (bus departs every hour to Dub.)
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll have to do more digging! I like the idea of a $99 flight from London.

My husband isn't fond of buses, so I think that might be out of the question.
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Syl

Lowcountryislander,
How did you get the $99 on BA from Dub. to London? I booked it about 2 months ago & got it for $187 (Canadian) plus taxes for a total of $227 Can. That would mean that I was charged double what you paid. I went through hell booking it also if you read my post back then.
Apr 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM

It doesn't appear, at least yet, that it's easy to get directly to Dubrovnik from the US. Our flight takes us from Cleveland-Cincy-Frankfurt-Zagreb-Dubrovnik. The Zagreb-Dub segment was added due to a misconnect on the Cincy-Frankfurt segment as Delta changed their departure time out of Cincy, so the Frankfurt-Dubrovnik segment we initally had when we booked these flights in November now had to include an additional flight segment. By all accounts, though, it seems that this will all pay off once we (finally) reach Dubrovnik. We used Travel Time out of NYC to arrange our trip and the best airfare was on Delta and you bet I breathed a sigh of relief when they announced a settlement with the pilots! We have something like a 5 hr layover in Frankfurt and 3 hr in Zagreb and don't plan to make a mini-vacation out of either layover by rushing into each respective city to see it. Will be too pooped to enjoy Dubrovnik once we finally get there!
Apr 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Syl...

I got my BA flight (one way) from Dubrovnik to London Gatwick on Expedia back in January. When I tried to book the flight on the BA website it wouldn't let me book it, so I went to expedia and they had the same offer. I typically don't book my flights through internet travel agencies preferring to book directly with the airline website, but when I couldn't do that on BA I felt Expedia was the next best route. The one odd thing was that Expedia wouldn't e-ticket me for that flight and I had to pay a $20 ticket delivery charge, but that was still worth it. And 2 days later I had my paper ticket.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:05 PM

We originate in chicago and are also going to rome so don't know if this info helps. But we fly chicago/zurich/rome and then air croatia through http://europebyair.com/eba/English_us/default.jsp). I too found a good price through BA but had to change from heathrow to gatwick and decided that the extra time and hassle and uncertainty of doing that wasn't worth flying directly into croatia. Also I found that traveling into split from any airline besides air croatia, was more direct and common. I too could not get an e-ticket with swiss air for our zurich/rome leg. Hope this helps.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:10 PM

Try NW MPS-LGW - I'm seeing $819 for those days.

Then BA LGW-DBV for $211 RT. You can connect at Gatwick on the morning of the 19th okay, but coming back you'll need to leave DBV on the 28th since the BA flight gets into Gatwick after the NW flight has left, so an overnight near LGW will be required. Priceline.

You can book the BA flight on Expedia et al, or you can save $5 per ticket by booking on aa.com (select the advanced options and click on "AA and Oneworld" - BA is AA's partner.)

This may be of no interest to you, but for $520 instead of $211 you can ride in business class on the BA flights. Aside from a lot more comfort (and decent miles to an American or Alaska Airlines mileage account, if you have one) that would qualify you to use the BA lounge at Gatwick, which is one of the best in the BA network. After the redeye from MSP, get your BA business class boarding passes and head to the lounge for a shower, breakfast, juices, papers, champagne or a bloody mary, etc. - for an hour or two before your flight to Dubrovnik. Quite civilised, chaps.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM

dixieland,

It is too bad your husband does not like busses. The ride from Split to Dubrovnik is simply spectacular. The busses are modern and air conditioned, and quite comfortable as well as safe.

The alternative is to rent a car. The problem is that the road, with it's twists and turns is a bit hairy. The driver really has to keep his eye on the road -- and thus misses the gorgeous scenery.

I wouldn't consider car rental for touring the coastal part of Croatia. We relied on public transport, and had no problems at all. There is some justification for renting one if you are going inland to Zagreb, for example, but having one in Dubrovnik would be a pain in the neck.

In any case, have a wonderful trip!

Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:05 AM

Dixieland,
I went last September & what I did was purchase a round trip from the US to Dublin and then bought a separate ticket on Aer Lingus (www.aerlingus.com) which has direct flights to Dubrovnik from Dublin. I just checked their website and they are something like 89 euro each way around the dates you are traveling. Due to flight times, I had to spend the night in Dublin on the way home though.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:36 AM

Another option. Fly from Minneapolis to Brussels..expedia says 1 stop---about $850. Go to www.flysn.com. They have round trip direct flights to Dubrovnik for 35 euro each way. Looks like you'd probably have to spend the night on the way back.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:28 AM

We are flying from Cincinnati to Budapest, spending 5 days there, then flying Budapest to Dubrovnik on SkyEurope for $98USD for 2 people, 1 way. We have 2 1/2 weeks in Croatia, leaving to return to the U.S. through Venice, Italy.
May 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM

I guess I found a pretty good deal, judging from the posts. I'm going to Croatia in May, and I fly from NYC to Manchester, UK, on American Airlines, then take a British Airways flight to Dubrovnik. On the way back, I take two British Airways flights from Dubrovnik to London, then to Manchester, with the final leg back to NYC on American Airlines. This itinerary cost $808 on Orbitz.com, but I actually saw it for $80 cheaper a week before I bought it.
May 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM

DEBS!!! You are from Cleveland?!! So am I!! I believe we are both going to Dub. only weeks apart! Hope I get to see your trip report before I leave. Have a great trip!! I noted on the tripadvisor site that people are unable to book hotels in June in Dub. Apparently it is getting more popular. I thought June would be semi-off season. Guess this is no longer the case!
May 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Peppermintpatti - Yes, Cleveland is home-I'm a westsider - and you? I just love how everyone is making the extended effort to get to Dubrovnik-and not as a cruise stop. When are you leaving? Too bad are trips don't coincide!

Images2 - I hope you enjoy Budapest as much as we did. It was probably one of our best trips-and may I suggest you always leave room for dessert after dinner - you won't be disappointed!
May 18th, 2006, 04:51 AM

HI Debs, I am also from the West side! Small world. I saw from another of your posts that you are taking some daytrips from Dub. If you have time when you get back, please let me know how they were. We are leaving June 9, 11 days in Dub, 5 Rome, 3 Split. I wish you a wonderful trip!
Dixieland, Sorry for highjacking your thread! We are flying into Split, and taking the bus to Dubrovnik. Many people have said it goes along the coast and is quite beautiful. We are using Europebyair.com for flights to and from Rome. $99+taxes--$40 or so? They also go from Split to Dub, but only on certain days. I have heard of others getting cheaper flights in Europe from city to city. There is another thread running on airfare sites here if that helps.
May 18th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Hi Dixie: You've received good advice about alternatives here but I'm just going to comment on your prices.

Sad to say, but $1,077 actually sounds OK! I'm in the processes of scheduling a trip to the same exact place for two of my bosses, and it's about $700 more than your quote. This is also leaving from MSP. One caveat is that they are going in late June so that might explain the price but still....ouch!

I hope you find a more reasonably-priced alternative!
May 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Hi there -- I was able to fine a flight in July from NYC to Manchester, then Manchester to Dubrovnik (the next day) for a total of $750. The key is to get to a big city in Europe first, then find a lowcost carrier to Dubrovnik.

Good luck!

Vicky
May 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM

We have our flights booked through British Airways. We are flying from Chicago to Dubrovnik and back, via London both ways, and our tickets were $650 each. I had to do some searching to find them that low though, and the prices quickly went up after I bought them.

Tracy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO