Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Trier to Where in Luxembourg? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-trier-to-where-in-luxembourg-426325/)

bettyk Apr 28th, 2004 04:40 AM

From Trier to Where in Luxembourg?

Anybody know a place in Luxembourg close to Trier that would make a nice stop for lunch and a short walk around? Is it best just to drive into Luxembourg City or is there somewhere closer, more quaint?

artstuff Apr 28th, 2004 06:44 AM

bettyk -

Last year we visited Luxembourg City which we found to be quite exquisite. We also spent time in Vianden, which we thoroughly enjoyed - beautiful setting, great castle on the hill, good food.

Grevenmacher is right across the border from Trier and was one of the places I researched for our trip but didn't have time to include. (There's just not enough time to include everything you want to see!) Their "claim to fame" is the Caves Bernard Massard, known for their sparkling wine. There is also a butterfly sanctuary that you can visit that sounded interesting.

Echternach is further north, along the River Sure, and the one town I really regret missing on our trip. Known for the Abbey and Basilique St Willibroard, it sounds like a charming little town. An annual dancing procession which dates back to the late Middle Ages takes place on Whit Tuesday. If you decide to lunch in Echternach, please let me know if the town is as lovely as it sounds.

You might be able to find additional information about Luxembourg at the following website:

www.ont.lu

We're in the process of planning a trip to Germany which will include Trier, so I look forward to a trip report when you return from your travels. When will you be going? Unfortunately, we won't be travelling again for another year or two. Until then I quench my thirst for travel by reading trip reports and doing research. Have a great journey. Peace.

Robyn

Curious Apr 28th, 2004 10:15 AM

Luxembourg City fills your request perfectly. It's a beautiful city and worthy of a couple of days, at least.

Curious

bettyk Apr 28th, 2004 01:18 PM

Thanks, Curious and Robyn. Unfortunately, we don't have several days. We will be spending 3 nights in Cochem but can only devote 1 day to Trier and a short excursion into Lux. We will be going in May 2005, so it will be awhile before I can write that report.

You have given me some great info. Thanks.

Curious Apr 29th, 2004 10:18 AM

If I had to make the choice between Trier and Lux City, it would be Lux City hands down. We were very disappointed in Trier.

Curious

artstuff Apr 29th, 2004 10:29 AM

Curious -

I'm curious, what did you find disappointing about Trier?

We're planning on including it on our future trip to Germany, mostly because of the Roman history/ruins. When we visited Maastrich, NL last year we went for the Roman ruins, and were quite disappointed. They just didn't seem to live up to the expectations that I anticipated after reading/researching the area. What can I expect from Trier?

By the way, visited Luxembourg City last year, and agree with you...it's a beautiful city. Peace.

Robyn

anissa Apr 29th, 2004 10:59 AM

I used to live near Trier and would encourage you to visit - although it can be seen easily in a day! Vianden or Echternact would be a good choice to have a "lunch break" before seeing Lux City - although if I was pressed I prefer Vianden (but I like the castle there a lot).

Trier has grown a lot in the past years and while the sights are nice to see, you don't have to spend more than a day or a half day (if you move quickly). Everything is pretty much within walking distance from the train station - if you don't mind a little hike. Go to the Dom. What is reputed to be Christ's robe is housed there, and the casements date back to the Roman time frame. There is a large stone out next to the main doors that fell from the roof in Medival times. Local legend has it that the stone trapped the devil in hell and that if it is ever moved Armagedon will comence. The Roman Baths are interesting, but can be seen very quickly, as can the Porta Nigrea and the ampitheater. Last time I was there they were excavating more ruins in the Fussganger platz and I think that they are always unearthing new things... the Roman Museum there is very interesting. Also, a lot of people don't realise that Karl Marx was born in Trier and you can visit his home. Takes about 30 mins to walk through, is an interesting study in the man. His house is in the Fussganger Platz and is a not so well marked apartement. The Konzil is something that can be missed in my book, just a large square building that is pretty spartan on the inside. The intersting thing about it is the fact that it was built around 2000 years ago and there aren't supporting colums inside the building....

I can't tell you where to eat, or where to stay (like I said, I lived in a village near there) but I always loved the city as a child, and as an adult going back it is a beautiful location with the Mosel, the vineyards etc and the history is fascinating. Even the main bridge into town was Roman built....

Curious Apr 30th, 2004 10:29 AM

Robyn,

I'm not certain why I was disapointed. I do know that it is not a city I would return to. We saw the Roman ruins, and it was kind of like "This is it?". The Dom was nice. The organ was playing while we were there and that was an experience.

Half a day in Trier would be plenty, in my estimation. If I could do it over, I would have spent two or three days in Lux City and do a short day trip to Trier.

Curious