From St. Petersburg Airport to town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to fly to St. Petersburg one day earlier than my Viking River Cruise begins in order to use FF miles. Can anyone help me find a moderately priced hotel, advise on the best way to get to the hotel and then to the Viking dock? And any other information you think would help me? Thanks a lot, Kudzu
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM

The River Cruise port (Rechnoy Vokzal) is located about 500 metres north of metro station Proletarskaya, on pr Obukhovskoy oborony 195. You can take a tram from metro station to river port. The metro station is on the Green Line, 3 stops from south end
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Garfield, that's very helpful.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Feliks. I'll doublecheck with Viking to be sure!
K
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Feliks is absolutely right. You will need to take a cab to get to the place where Viking docks. There are several river port terminals and the Viking uses the remote one.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I've been reading a number of forums and many say that the one near the Proletarskaya metro station is what they used, but I checked with Viking itself (duh!) and they say they dock at different places and won't know for sure until closer to sailing date. So, it seems everyone is right for different sailings.

Thanks again, K.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM

I was in St. Petersburg last year and saw 2 river boat piers with Viking ships in both piers. I was Amadeus and we were at the farther pier along with a German Viking ship (Peterhof).

I don't remember the name of our pier but there was a huge brand new bridge next to it.

Have a great time on your trip!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Theresa. I'll just have to wait and see. I'm getting excited about my trip, first time to Russia. I see from your other posts that you've been to Russia twice before and didn't like the river cruise as much as land trip. I understand that! I travel to China a lot and the idea of not packing up every day or two or three is really appealing!

To allow myself plenty of time to explore St. P. on my own, I've now decided to add about three days at the beginning of the trip, so I hope to have the best of both worlds. If you have any suggestions that may not be in the usual guidebook and forum sources, which I'm checking out pretty thoroughly, I'd love to hear them. You may reply here or email me directly: traveler01 (that's zero one) at gmail.com.

I'll be there from August 5 until the sailing on the 8th.

Thanks again, K.