From Shannon to Cork city and beyond....

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 01:27 PM
doug

From Shannon to Cork city and beyond....

i am arriving in shannon in may would like to know if cork city is worth a visit and kinsdale. from there i am going to do ring of kerry, dingle pennisular so far. i have 10 days with car any additional recommendations would be appreciated. is limerick worth a visit galway?
thanks for any help
doug

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 10:02 PM
Jules

If you're a foodie, Kinsale is wonderful. Lots of great restaurants - I'm told French Chef's on vacation go to Kinsale and often cook in some of them. From the food I sampled, I'd believe it! It's also a lovely picturesque seaside village. There's a bar called "Spaniards" (I think) and they have great crab claws, and make the best Bloody Mary I've ever had. If you have time, drive around the Beara Peninsula (before the Ring of Kerry) it's fantastic scenery - quite rugged. Have fun.

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 03:35 PM
Dick Hardy

I was not awfully impressed with Cork when we visited several years ago, but the surrounting country is lovely. If possible, eat at Ballymaloe House in Shanagary (near Cork) or even stay there. Myrtle Allen runs an internationally famous cooking school there and the food is fabulous. It's a good place (tho pricey) place to stay. Another nice trip is to Ballycotton, a seaside fishing town not far off. If you are planning to drive the Ring of Kerry on your own, consider a tour bus instead. It's a lovely drive but quite long and you might see more on a tour bus. Have fun! Dick

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 05:44 AM
marianna

Try and visit Kilkenny if you get a chance. Beautiful, quaint and fun. Great Castle, friendly people, awesome hostel. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 08:24 PM
michele

Stay a couple days in Dingle town to enjoy great music & food, as well as, the gorgeous surrounding area. I'd skip Limerick, and go to Galway, which is an incredible city. The Adare House in Galway was very nice & walking distance to downtown. If you have time drive up the coast from Galwy to the Clifden area, beautiful!

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 03:29 PM
doug

thanks for everyone's replys.i just have another question for anyone. if you want to stay in the west, would you recommend going north from shannon towards galway and then come south again to do the ring of kerry and dingle and head towards kinsdale up through limerick and then to shannon. or just the opposite? or does it make a differance? and were would you stay the first night, if you went north or south any b&b's recommendation? again thanks for any info. i hope this post isn't to confusing.
doug

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 12:50 AM
Jules

If you've never been to Ireland before, and are flying into Shannon airport, I'd suggest you drive through Limerick, Enis, Ennistymon and finally arrive at a small town on the coast called Doolin (approx 1.5hrs). There's a number of accommodations there, one being the Aranview Hotel plus B&B's and hostels. This is a great town for your first night in Ireland, as it seems to be the home of Irish Folk Music. Visit any of the small pubs there for a Guinness and cheer. From there you can either head north or south to your other destinations - depends upon where you're departing from. There's an airport in Cork, so if you could get your flight out transferred to there, it's easier to see all on the west coast and then head to Kinsale and Cork last.

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 01:44 PM
kam

Old Apr 11th, 1998, 01:46 PM
kam

Don't bother with Cork city, but do try to stay at Ballymaloe House. Kinsale is great. Galway, Connemara (from Galway to Clifden) is super. Generally, the farther west you go in Ireland the wilder and more authentic. The closer you get to Dublin the more bucolic and less spontaneous. I would stay in the west, not going beyond Cork. You can go north or south, doesn't really matter, but again south is more gentrified. have fun

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 09:43 PM
topper

For Jeniffer.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Mary

I would skip both Limerick and Cork in favor of spending time in Galway and Dingle town. Limerick doesn't have much charm (at least not to me). Cork is okay, but you'll likely enjoy other places more. If you were going to be in Ireland longer, I'd say go for the experience of it; but with limited time, Cork becomes less recommendable.

I'd probably head south first, simply because you have more of an idea of what you want to do there (the "Ring" and Dingle Peninsula). Then you can see what kind of time you have left over for other places, such as the north. Keep in mind that Killarney (on the "Ring,"), though very touristy, marks a beautiful scenic area you may want to explore. Also, the Dingle Peninsula has some beautiful interior areas you may want to tool through.

If you do decide to go north, consider going by way of the Cliffs of Moher, then on N67 from Lisdoonvarna to Ballyvaughan. This will bring you through part of the Burren, which is a karstic landscape--unusual and memorable. You will probably enjoy Galway and Connemara. Galway is a busy town but still pretty charming. If you will be navigating the streets of Galway by car, prepare to be a bit patient with the one-ways. Having a little street map will help (Fodor's has a small basic one in its book on Ireland, though it doesn't indicate one-ways.) My experience with places to stay in Galway is limited to mainly cheap, nondescript B&Bs. However, the last time there, I stayed at Jury's hotel. Not overly expensive, and nothing particular to recommend it, except you're right in town and they have wonderfully firm beds (which is what I needed for a very bad back).

As for Doolin, I was there years ago when it was a less trendy spot. From what I've read in a couple of tourbooks, it's become a draw for musicians from the continent. Not sure how true this is, but I did ask some people about Doolin the last over, and they said it's not what it used to be. Still, it would probably be fun. However, if you do decide to go north first, and want a quiet location the first night, perhaps Doolin wouldn't be the place for that (it stayed hopping till late when I was there).

I agree with marianna above about Kilkenny. It's a wonderful place, full of charm and especially nice folks and a great old cathedral; but it will take you farther east, and if you do want to go north, I'd probably skip Kilkenny rather than rush things. (Maybe next time?)

I hope something here is helpful! And that you have a great visit to Eire.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Dave

RE Dingle:

I stayed at Kirrarra House and loved it - this is the first B&B I've stayed in where I really felt as if I were a welcome guest in someone's home, and not just a paying customer. (Apparently, Rick Steves mentions it in one of his books, so be prepared for lots of Americans.)

The Collins', who own Kirrara, also offer 2.5 hour tours which are well worth the money (IRP8, I think), as long as enough people (5 or more) show interest that day. I took the tour of Gallarus Oratory (also including another monastic site, an early Norman church, and a ring fort, plus great views), and was very glad I did. In May things may have picked up a bit. In the high season, I believe there are two tours, one west of Dingle (to Gallarus) and one to the east.

The Aquarium is a surprisingly good way to spend a rainy hour or two. Especially interesting are the sharks, and the shallow touch pool where stingrays, flatfish, and occasionally an octopus dance on the surface! (Also, I discovered that Jabba the Hut was actually a Monkfish. No kidding, check out the resemblance.)

There are "Eco Tours" of Dingle Bay, with a two hour boat ride for IRP10 (if there is enough interest). If the weather is good, this is a great way to see some spectacular scenery, both of the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry. The tour office is in the Tourist Information Center, around the corner from the main entrance, next to the Dolphin boat office. In my opinion the Eco Tour is a MUCH better value than the IRP6 "Dolphin boats" which don't even leave Dingle harbour, especially since you might catch a glimpse of Fungie on the Eco Tour anyway.

For a good walk, follow Spa Road NE out of Dingle Town, where it branches off from the main Connor Pass road. This one-lane road climbs (moderately) up to rejoin the main road just at the beginning of the Connor Pass. The views into the next valley and back toward Dingle are superb. It took me about 1.5 hours round trip walking at a moderate pace.

The Connor Pub on Spa road is a good place for traditional music.

The three days I spent in Dingle were the highlight of my trip. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.