Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Wurzburg-Public Transportation (easier than 4 stops?)

From Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Wurzburg-Public Transportation (easier than 4 stops?)

Feb 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

In looking at the train schedules, it appears that going from Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Wurzburg requires 3-4 stops and combination of train, bus, and walking. Is there a different mode of public transportation that would be less complicated? Please don't suggest a car rental. I would be the designated driver and I just don't want to.

Thanks!
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I don't remember the details, but we caught a bus that travels along the romantic road - once a day in one direction, and once a day in the opposite direction. Can you check if the bus schedule works for you (think the towns are about 1 hour apart, just going by memory)?
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

bennyb,
Thanks for your quick reply. Can you tell me how I would check the bus schedule? In English? Do you remember where you caught the bus? Yes, according to mapquest, a little less than an hour, about 41 miles.
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Did you check bahn.de?

The train should take about 70 minutes with change in Steinach. It's nowhere as complicated as you described. I took the train last April.

The train station at Rothenburg o.d.T. is within walking distance of old town.
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM

dherron - sorry, but it's my wife who does the planning. I tried to "google" to see what I could find, and this might have been it:
https://www.romantischestrasse.de/sh...ID=155&lang=uk

I don't have any independent memory that that is the correct name of the bus we took, but it could be . . . I only really remember it was a limited schedule (one run per day, each direction), and it was a public bus, but large (we took luggage). I'm sorry I can't remember more.
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

bennyb,
Thanks again. I'll check out the site to see if that will work for us.

111op,
Yes, I checked bahn.de. It was there that I got the 3-4 changes with travel time of about 3 hours. Should I be checking the schedule from from Rothenburg then to Steinach then to Wurzburg? European train schedules are very confusing to me. Surprisingly, once I get there, it doesn't seem to be a problem. It's just getting the schedules/tickets down pat before hand that confuses me.

Thanks!
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM

That is the correct site for the bus, make sure you check the dates and times as the service has been reduced somewhat.
I found an 1.31hr with two changes but there appear to be quite a few different station names, I would be curious to know which is the correct station to get off at to be main tourist area for sightseeing a well.
Maybe some one can let us know?
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM

A guess: Very likely you've selected the "wrong" Rothenburg, as it's a very common placename in Germany. 'Die Bahn'-website lists Rothenburgs in a seemingly random order, you have to select "Rothenburg ob der Tauber" from the pulldown-list, otherwise you'll get some very funny results.
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Sorry, I meant the station at Wurzburg.
Feb 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM

That could be. Try Wurzburg Hbf to Rothenburg o.d.T Bahnhof (or Rothenburg ob der Tauber Bahnhof). There're indeed several "Rothenburg"s on Deutsche Bahn.

You don't need to search the schedules separately. When you put in the right stations, you'll have the schedules that say there's a change required in the middle. Click to get full details and you'll see you need to switch at Steinach.

It should be straightforward. Last April I went from Frankfurt to Munich via Wurzburg and Rothenburg o.d.T. (all in one day).
Feb 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM

I think that there are several Wurzburg locations, yes -- some of these I think are local or landmarks.

When I look for schedules on Deutsche Bahn, when in doubt, I use the Hauptbahnhof (or Hbf), i.e. main station after the place name (Haupt means "head" literally in German).

There's no need to do this for Rothenburg o.d.T. -- just add Bahnhof. That's because that's just a small town so there's no distinction between the various train stations.

Let me know if this works for you.
Feb 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM

Yes, thanks 111op, I was putting in Wurzburg Hbf but wasn't sure if this was the best stop to get off at as it shows another stop after that. Any idea which is the best one to get off at?
Feb 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM

You definitely want Wurzburg Hbf.

If you are limited on time, you might consider taking a taxi to Steinach and catching the train from there. It's only a ten minute drive, and the RegionalExpress (RE) goes almost nonstop to Wurzburg in less than an hour. I live in Bad Windsheim (10km the other side of Steinach) and have to connect through Steinach all the time.
Feb 29th, 2008, 03:22 AM
ira

Hi D,

Here is a typical schedule from www.bahn.de

Rothenburg ob der Tauber dep 14:06
Steinach(b Rothenb)
arr 14:20

Steinach(b Rothenb)
dep 14:34
Würzburg Hbf
arr 15:19

Feb 29th, 2008, 04:40 AM

I don't know about the other stations in Wurzburg, but since that town is pretty small too, you can't go wrong with Hauptbahnhof.

I didn't know about the cab from Steinach to Rothenburg o.d.T. Any way, the train is fast too, but you do have to waste a little time changing trains. It will be easy though. Many people will be there changing trains. As I mentioned, the old town is within walking distance of the Rothenburg o.d.T. station. Probably about 10-15 minutes.

The Wurzburg Residenz is also within walking distance of Hbf. As I mentioned, I stopped in both when I went from Frankfurt to Munich, and it's really not a problem. There're lockers even at these stations.

Feb 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Once again, a spelling problem. There are two dots on the "u". The city's proper name is either "Würzburg" or "Wuerzburg". With either of the two, bahn.de will understand what you mean and send you straight to Würzburg central station with one change in Steinach. If you enter "Wurzburg" you'll get a worthless list of wierd bus stops.
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM

No, you don't need to account for the umlaut. You can put in Wurzburg Hbf and DB will add the umlauts in for you. I did that last night and I just tested it again.

Put in Rothenburg o.d.T. Banhhof and you'll be asked to reconfirm, which you of course do.
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Sorry -- I misspelled bahnhof.
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM

With Hbf it works, but without you get the effect I described.

Seems DB people have taught their website to understand this wrong spelling, but it is still WRONG, no matter how often it appears on the internet.
Feb 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Well, non German speakers are not accustomed to using umlauts. Maybe you can insist that people use ue for u with umlaut.

But look at Zurich. No one uses umlauts there. I doubt they will use them for Wurzburg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO