Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Rome to Orvieto to San Gimignano. How?

Dec 16th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Brah

There must be an easier way than what I have found! It's easy to get to Orvieto (for a few hours), but not so easy to end up in San Gimignano where we will base for Tuscany. We're in our 60's and wagging the suitcases on and off the train and bus (I think 5 different times) sounds overwhelming! Have any of you ever taken a taxi from Poggibonsi or Siena to San G? I'm afraid even to ask the price! Would it be better to go straight to Firenze and then back track? Any help will be appreciated.

Dec 16th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Robert

Have you ruled out getting a car?It is not that daunting to drive in rural tuscany,try
auto europe can rent a car in florence.RR

Dec 16th, 2002, 06:43 AM
guy

Rome to Orvietto is an easy 75 min train from Roma, but to get to San Gimignano you will probably want to go on to Florence by train and then take a bus to San Gimignano. You can also get to S.G. by way of Sienna. Either way is about a 75 minute bus ride.

Dec 16th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Brah

Thanks for the replies.
Robert, as we will be in Tuscany only 4 nights, the cost is prohibitive for us to rent a car. Also, to find a place to "stable" it is a pain, and we will be having day trips to Siena and Assisi and a couple of tours already planned. So maybe next time, we'll stay a week and use a car (and have a little more money saved up!)

Guy, I hadn't thought about bussing to San G from Florence. We will be in Orveito until about 2:00 Pm so that might work well - train direct (or hopefully direct) to Florence and then only one (?) bus ride straight to San G, would really help. thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Dec 16th, 2002, 07:15 AM
kathy

I have just been to San Gim twice in the last few days and you take the train to Poggibonsi, walk across the road from the station and a Sita bus will take you up to San Gim. there is no need to bother with taxis.
Have fun, I love it there and make sure you say hello to Maristella in Gustavo's wine bar and try her bruschetta, probably spelt it wrong but tastes just right.

Dec 16th, 2002, 07:18 AM
kathy

I should have said I'm based in Florence for three weeks and using the train all over the place, it is very reasonably priced so took the train from Florence to Poggibonsi, don't be daunted, it's a piece of cake.

Dec 16th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Kay

We stayed in Orvieto then San Gimignano, caught the train to Poggibonsi then the bus leaves from right outside the train station for San Gim. The bus takes about 20 mins. We did have a hassle because when we got to Chiusi to change trains, we found out the trains to Siena weren't going and they had put on buses instead. We had to wait 2 hours for the bus. Over a 5 week period using the trains in Italy we had a few hiccups like that, the main thing that unnerved us was that most of the time if there were announcements we didn't know what was happening, as our Italian is very basic. Overall though, I wouldn't hesitate to use the trains again, easier than I thought it would be.
If you want somewhere budget priced but really nice and central in San Gimignano, we can recommend the rooms at
www.sangiroom.com
The Italian family who run it were very welcoming, you can get breakfast if you want at their cafe in the piazza where the Duomo is.
Kay