Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Provence to S.Gimignano, Italy and then back to Holland

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:55 AM
kay

Hi,
I am in desperate need of help here. We will be driving from Paris to Provence (after a week in Paris) stay in Menton for a day or so and then on to Italy. I have about a week in Italy before I need to go back to Holland. All this is done driving...Can we do it? Should I not stay in Tuscany but closer to Modena. Does anyone have any ideas about the driving times? The most we can sit in a car is probably 3 - 4hours...
Thanks in advance...Can anyone recommend a B&B in Provence?
Kay

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:13 AM
Rex

Kay,

You will likely save money by turning in your french car and re-renting in San Remo (short train ride from France).

Drive anywhere you want in Italy; no good reason to avoid tuscany, if you have a week. But rather than drive back to Holland, consider flying from Milan or Rome to Brussels on www.virgin-express.com and the the train to Holland. You can pay for the flight almost entirely by avoiding the surcharge of returning the rental across country borders.

And as much as I wave the banner for car rental, if the only reason to renbt in France is to get from point A (Paris) to Point B (Riviera), you might find the train a better use of money and time. Or train to Brussels and fly to Italy in the first place! (But that will miss Menton)

Best wishes,

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:26 AM
kay

HI Rex,
Thanks for your reply! France and Italy are actually only part of the story. I will have been in Holland for a week before starting the trip to France. The car rental originates in Amsterdam, and I will have the rental for approx. 25-27 days...Am I doing it all wrong? There will be 4 of us, so I thought it would be cheaper to rent than train tickets for all 4...
Thanks again!
K.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:42 AM
Rex

Kay,

As is so often the case, the complete story affects the answer substantially. You can plan your route nicely with www.cwlease.com and check into shrt-term lease rates there as well. And www.frommers.com ran a story - - http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/.../article2.html - - on good lease rates from Renault yesterday. You might want to comparison shop with them.

It will cost you 40 CHF to drive via Switzerland (vignette cost - - same price one hour or one year). If you have never been to Venice, you could go there as easily as Tuscany, and swing through Austria to get back to Holland (long, but Venice is SO wonderful). And of course, the increased cost of lodging in Venice, compared to Tuscany, will be much greater than the cost of the (avoided) vignette in Switzerland.

A great place to stay, by the way on the trip back to A-dam from Germany is Parkhotel Wasserburg-Anholt - - a real castle with a moat!

Feel free to write me directly, if you wish.

Rex

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:22 AM
Sjoerd

Make sure you don't rent a car until you leave Amsterdam. In Amsterdam, a car is a nuisance. Parking is non-existent or very expensive, and driving is difficult for a non-local (bicycles, trams, narrow streets)