Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Paris to the Loire Valley (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-paris-to-the-loire-valley-35767/)

Donna Dec 22nd, 1998 01:52 AM

From Paris to the Loire Valley

<BR>What is the best way for me to get from Paris to the Loire Valley? and then from Chateau to Chateau? <BR> <BR>Thanks, and Happy Holidays!!

Monica Dec 22nd, 1998 04:07 AM

My Mother and I took the train to Tours, about a 1 1/2 hour train ride from Paris. Stayed there for 3 nights and toured the Chateaux via a one day mini van tour. We saw several Chateaux and had the opportunity to visit two of them for 1-2 hours (Chambord and Cheverny). Had a great time. The tour was inexpensive. If you'd like email me at home and I'll get you the company name and let you know where we stopped/prices, etc. Very enjoyable day. <BR> <BR>Other option is to rent a car for a couple of days. However, we felt one day was sufficient for us since we wanted to visit other areas of France. <BR> <BR>Merry Christmas!

Carol Dec 22nd, 1998 08:14 AM

Small world! My mother and I also took the train to Tours. It's the TGV and there are numerous trips between Tours and Paris. I think the name of the mini-bus tour company we used was Touraine Evasion, and I think they operate from May-November. We stayed at a really wonderful little hotel called Hotel du Cygne--3 floors, no elevator but a beautiful winding staircase. We had the largest room in the place, marble fireplace and all for $88/night including fresh croissants for breakfast (this was in 1995). I have their fax number home and if you're interested, please email me for it and any other information I can help with. <BR> <BR>We stayed in Tours for 2 weeks and fell in love with the town. My favorite chateaux were Azay-le-Rideau, Amboise, Chenenceau, Blois and Chambord in that order. With the minibus tours, you spend en entire afternoon (1-7pm) visiting several chateaux. It's a great way to see them.

Yvonne Dec 22nd, 1998 10:21 AM

Another option is to take a bus tour from Paris. In 1989 six of us did that. You catch a bus from Paris, travel to various chateaux and in our case the cathedral at Chartres (sp?). Ours was a two day excursion. The hotel we stayed at was non-descript. Your days start early and end late. Just wanted to pass on an alternative. Hope you and yours have a festive New Year.

Dayle Dec 22nd, 1998 08:06 PM

In Oct. I took the train from Gare Montparnasse to Chartres. Picked up a car there and drove down, kind of a boring drive. If I did it over, I would pick up the car at Tours (St. Pierre du Corps - TGV station)or Amboise (if possible) and drive from there. Even with the off season hours, I was able to see all the popular chateaux and a few others in 2 1/2 days and that was enough for one trip. The popular sites were busy, but not jammed, as they would be in summer. Oct was a really nice experience. Don't miss Amboise. It's a very nice town! I stayed at the Chateau de Chissay, just a couple kms from Chenonceau. It's the real thing, 15th century and has an excellent restaurant. It was the best meal I had in France.

jwward Dec 29th, 1998 11:57 AM

We recently stayed in the Loire Valley <BR>in a American type B & B, the Moulin <BR>Bregeon, which is a French watermill <BR>made up of six buildings that date from <BR>the 17th to th 19th century. The quest <BR>packages are pretty much tailor-made for <BR>you. It was a great location for many <BR>day trips to all the areas in this valley, and the owners show you places <BR>not even on maps. Everything from sight-seeing, to biking, to first class authentic french meals. It was great <BR>experience for my husband and I especially since we speak very little french. If anyone would like more information on this delightful experience and how to contact the Moulin Bregeon please E-Mail me. <BR>