From Paris to Lausanne by Car

Sep 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

From Paris to Lausanne by Car

Hello,

I have planned a 10 days trip in Europe (Paris and Barcelona) from 22nd Aug to 2nd Oct 2010. 6 days in Paris and 4 days in Barcelona.

Since I visited Paris before, i thought about having a 2 day trip to Switzerland, and particularly Lausanne and here in the forum it is mentioned that Montreux will be a nice visit too.

So i need help building my itinerary, i should land in Paris on the 22nd and depart to Barcelona on the 28th from Paris.

Should a car trip worth it (the scenery and flexibility + cost reduction since we r a family of 4) or should i use the trains?
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Confusion reigns here - you say "...10 days trip..." then you say "... from 22nd Aug to 2nd Oct 2010..." then you say "...6 days in Paris and 4 days in Barcelona...." and then you say "... land in Paris on the 22nd and depart to Barcelona on the 28th from Paris...."

That all doesn't add up.

Where do you get two days from for Switzerland in this tight schedule? Are you looking to drive from Paris via Switzerland to Barcelona? In two days?

There are a number of caveats - if you land in Paris on the 22nd, you can write off that day, you'll all be way too woozy to want to do much, let alone absorb what you'll see. Just stay on your feet as much as possible, preferably out in the fresh air, and have an early night after a light dinner. Try not to sleep all day or else you'll remain "turned around" - woozy during the day and wide awake at night.

So you won't have six days in Paris, and what about the travel days between Paris and Barcelona? They'll eat into your time, too.

Do you have to go as far as Barcelona? Why not stay in Paris and do daytrips, there are lots and lots of worthwhile targets and you'll be glad to stay put and come "home" to a familiar bed every night.

A short-term apartment works best for that, it allows for a semblance of family life (a kitchen, a fridge, somewhere to lounge - children especially like that...).

You worry about price, car vs train. If your rental contract allows you to rent the car in Paris and drop it off in Barcelona (and that's a BIG IF) then that will cost you a pretty penny.

Rushing into Switzerland and out again since you have to be in Barcelona the next day makes no sense, it is not on the way, and you and your children will be sick of moving at such speed and not having a few days to enjoy the region.

Please rethink and clarify your plans, your dates, and your intentions, maybe there is a solution lurking here that will make sense.
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM

I assume you mean 2011.

If you want to visit Switzerland --OK. But then WHY are you traveling to Barcelona from Paris??

Paris > Lausanne/Montreux > Paris > Barcelona doesn't make sense and especially not in 10 days. And - are you flying home from Barcelona or from Paris?

You likely don't have your flights booked yet. If not, here is a way you can do it (but only if you are happy w/ just 3 or 4 days in Paris). Fly to Paris and spend 3 or 4 nights there. Fly to Basel or Geneva and rent a car for 3 days to tour around. Drop the car in Geneva and fly to Barcelona for the last 3 days. Or - you could use trains instead of renting a car in Switzerland.

Really hectic but doable.
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

the trip is currently booked as follows:
1- Arrive via airline in Paris 22nd Sept 8:00am
2- Depart to Barcelona from Paris on 28th Sept 8:00am
3- Depart from Barcelona on the 2nd Oct 6:00pm
----

So after i booked the trip (given that i visited Paris before) i thought about utilizing the 6 days in Paris and may be visit Switzerland. but given your feedback it looks like it will be a hectic trip to go Switzerland while in Paris.

so any suggestions of how to best utilize a 6 days visit to Paris?
Sep 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Even on a repeat visit, Paris has much more to offer than you can do in six days.
But if you are looking to do daytrips, here's a list:
Reims
Amiens 
Chartres
Fontainebleau 
Versailles
Tours (city in Loire valley)
Compiègne
Rouen
Bayeux
Le Mans
Caen
Orléans
Troyes
Sep 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM

This trip makes no sense.
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

@DalaiLlama, Thank you very much, i looked up your list and looks like i will have an interesting itinerary for my 6 days stay in Paris. Thank you very much.