Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   from Paris to CDG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-paris-to-cdg-343560/)

letstalk Aug 1st, 2003 10:58 AM

from Paris to CDG

How does one go from the city of Paris to CDG Airport other than taking a taxi? I did it years ago and forgot how that we accomplished it. Merci.

ira Aug 1st, 2003 11:07 AM

Hi,

If you do a text search on "Paris and CDG" you will find a lot of advice on the various ways to do it and their relative advantages.

Statia Aug 1st, 2003 11:37 AM

You take the RER. It's quick and eay, provided you don't have a lot of luggage.

I did it recently from St. Michel station, so I can give you pointers, if you wish. Be sure you have an RER ticket (different than a regular metro ticket). And, make sure you are on the right line (there is a fork in the line before CDG). We made this mistake on our second trip.

There are monitors in the metro to let you know where the approaching train is headed, and people are very helpful, as well.

TimS Aug 1st, 2003 12:04 PM

The following page (in English) from the Paris airports Web site will give you all your choices: www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an.nsf/$$Affich@ReadForm&cle=X100120121.html

Travelnut Aug 1st, 2003 12:46 PM

You can prearrange for a shuttle service, ie. PariShuttle or Bee-Shuttle...the 1st is about 18EURO per person, and the 2nd is about 14EURO.
http://www.parishuttle.com/
http://www.bee-shuttle.com/shuttle-us.asp

uhoh_busted Aug 1st, 2003 01:19 PM

We used the Parishuttle last trip and it worked great. Because they pick up people from different hotels, we even got a "last" look at the city which was quite nice.

Sue4 Aug 1st, 2003 06:22 PM

I also used ParisShuttle last trip, and it was fine, although about 30 minutes late picking me up. I had plenty of time,so it didn't matter. My preferred way is the Air France Bus (about 11 euros) - but that's because I stay near Gare Montparnasse, where they stop, and have a fairly easy walk to hotel. It is cheap,safe and comfortable.

Michael Aug 8th, 2003 07:44 PM

You can also take a regular bus from Nation or Gallieni (no. 351) which costs two tickets and takes about 40 minutes from the latter stop. The bus stops at all the aerogares. When it is wending its way through Bondy, a northern suburb, you may start wondering if it will take only forty minutes, but it soon goes on the autoroute for faster travel. Heavily loaded travelers might want to forgo this option.

Hagan Aug 8th, 2003 08:34 PM

Statia,
I would appreciate your info, as we also will be going to/from CDG to St. Michel stop. Are the signs well marked for RER B at CDG? Ticket stations easily found? What should we know to avoid getting on the "wrong track" back to CDG? Thanks for any help.
Joyce

gb Aug 8th, 2003 09:36 PM

If you are more than one person, you might still consider a taxi. We took the Metro/RER with our luggage(one piece) on a hot summer day up and down stairs and will never do it again. This year we tried to get a shuttle (on the day of the Tour Le France) and the shuttle wasn't permitted to our hotel. So, we took a taxi for four(we had to ask for a four person taxi) and got to CDG for 45 E. from near the Eiffel Tower.

Statia Aug 9th, 2003 04:05 AM

Hagan,

The RER from CDG into Paris is in Terminal F, I believe. However, you can ask anyone, and we found everything to be very well marked. You have to go downstairs (follow the signs), and there is a ticket counter area to the left of the RER train entrance.

We paid 7.70 euro each way, and bought our return tickets at the same time since we were only overnighting. Then, go through the turnstile to the train. You can't really go wrong on this route as all trains go into Paris, but once you board, you can look at the route and see where your stop is. It's about a 30 or so minute ride. Then, just keep an eye on the stops you pass until you get to St. Michel.

On the return trip, be SURE to check the monitor on the platform for the correct train from St. Michel. We got on B5, which forks away from CDG, when in fact we wanted B3. So, check the front of the train as it's approaching, to see if it's B3 to CDG. You can also check the monitor next to the track. You will see CDG flashing on the monitor as the correct train approaches.

If all else fails, just ask someone. We find everyone to be very helpful in Paris. Usually, if you get on a train with other people who have luggage, then you are on the correct one.

Good luck! We always travel with one 22" rolling suitcase each, and maybe a duffle bag on top of it, and have no problem. However, keep in mind that you will encounter stairs.

RJD Aug 9th, 2003 12:53 PM

Please note that the State's Deparment's web site, in their information material about France, warns of pick-pocket problems on the RER from CDG to Paris. You may want to factor that into consideration. I have, for the last several times, had the hotel arrange a shuttle to the airport.

nevilledog Aug 20th, 2003 04:41 PM

we took air france bus and it was very convenient, drop off at Arc de Triumph and we got train from there, much cheaper than a taxi.