Notices

From Orly Airport to Paris Gare de Lyon

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Orly Airport to Paris Gare de Lyon

Hello, my husband and I will be arriving into Orly Airport from Turkey on July 12th (Monday) at around 4:30pm. We are then planning on taking the TGV to Avignon and, according to the SNCF website, the fastest route is to catch the train at Gare de Lyon - can someone confirm this? Assuming that our flight arrives on time at 4:30pm, how long will it take to catch a cab (or other transport) to Gare de Lyon? Will it be rush hour, and can we realistically make a train that departs at 5:20pm if we also have to pick up our tickets at the station? If anyone is aware of direct trains from Orly Airport to Avignon, please let me know. Thank you!
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:22 AM
ira

Hi mc,

>Assuming that our flight arrives on time at 4:30pm,...can we realistically make a train that departs at 5:20pm <

Probably not. You have to collect your luggage and clear immigration and customs. It is about 40 min by car if traffic is OK.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I doubt you'll make that connection. A taxi, which would probably be fastest as the Air France shuttles don't go from Orly to Gare de Lyon, will take about 25-30 minutes if traffic is running normally, and I've often waited in line at the train station for 10 or more minutes to pick up tickets. Plus, as ira says, you'll need time to get out of the airport after you land.
Have you investigated taking the shuttle to CDG and catching the TGV there? It's kind of nuts to head back north to go south, and it would probably take more time than getting to Gare de Lyon, but there might be more TGV options available to you. Just a thought.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:32 AM

50 minutes is totally unrealistic. There are TGVs that way at 17:50, 18:20, 19:20 & 20:20.

I think 18:20 is the earliest I'd even consider. 19:20 if you don't want to be rushed.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. Okay, so 40 minutes to get to the gare de lyon. I pretty much figured that it would be an impossibility, but was holding out a candle in the event that the station was really close - and we're okay with cutting things close. It would be great if we could fly into CDG, but that's not an option at this point (we're at the mercy of what's available with miles!). Based on your responses then, I can assume that there are no direct train options from Orly? Thanks again.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM

There's no train station at Orly.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM

The only train servicing Orly is the Orlyrail, and it's not right at the airport - it's in Rungis and you have to take a shuttle to it. It goes to the Gare d'Austerlitz every 15 minutes and the ride takes 45 minutes. I can't imagine this would be of any use to you. I think you simply have to take a later TGV.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:36 AM

One time we took a taxi from the airport to the TGV station at Massy, which was about a 20-minute ride. It's a small station and easy to find one's way down to the platform and the proper spot for the train car in which you have reservations.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM

The main trains from Paris to the SE do not stop at Massy. And not any of those Paris-Avignon trains in the afternoon.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I just went to the SNCF website and there are no afternoon trains from Massy to Avignon (last one is at 3:30pm). Oh well, it seems like cabbing it to Gare de Lyon and giving ourselves ample time to catch the TGV is the way to go. I have one follow-up question: is there such a thing as "stand-by" on the TGV system? The non-transferable/non-refundable ticket is one third of the price of the regular refundable tickets... If we miss the train we purchased tickets for, does "non-transferable" mean that we cannot go "stand-by" on a later train if we buy the cheaper ticket?