Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Madrid to Seville(stop in cordoba for the day) - can I book one train ticket or two separate?

From Madrid to Seville(stop in cordoba for the day) - can I book one train ticket or two separate?

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

Guess my subject line says it all - experienced folks, can I book one ticket from Madrid to Seville, stop off at Cordoba in the morning and hop on another train in the night to Seville with one ticket?

Or separate tickets ie Madrid to Cordoba and Cordoba to Seville??

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM
car

travel04
You will have to buy two separate tickets. The Ave line has a system of reserved seats so each ticket is for a specific trip on a numbered seat.
Price wise there are several prices related to speed/stops the train makes and type/quality of train.
For example you can take a train in the morning at valley hours(cheaper) then and afternoon one,during a Peak hour, more expensive.
www.renfe.es will give you prices and timetables.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 02:25 AM

From Cordoba to Sevilla, there are a few ordinary stopping trains which are a lot cheaper than the AVEs. On a journey of that length, the time difference isn't too great. If you use the AVE from Cordoba to Sevilla, seats will normally be available at short notice - the trains are often fully booked from Madrid, but seats will be available from Cordoba to Sevilla.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks! Now if I were to buy the tickets in advance online at renfe from US - the likelihood of the trains getting cancelled is not high is it?? If it does get cancelled they let me use the ticket for the next available train im assuming?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM

travel04,
It's highly unlikely that your AVE departure from Seville to Cordoba would be cancelled. The Seville-Madrid AVE service is extremely reliable, and trains usually run near full. You can purchase your tickets via the Tiknet system at www.renfe.es, but the Tiknet systems only works during Renfe's normal operating hrs in Spain. You will find instructions in English.
First time users on Tiknet can purchase only 1 itinerary per person (or per credit card) before picking up tickets in Spain and establishing their user identity. The terms/conditions are spelled out for you on the Tiknet page. Once you've made your online purchase, you can then pick up your tickets at the Renfe counters of any train station. But make SURE to bring both the credit card/s you used for purchase and your locator number/s-both are absolutely required for picking up tickets.
Renfe has a handy counter downstairs in the international arrivals section of Terminal 1 at Madrid's Barajas airport. That's where I pick up all of my prepurchased AVE tickets. Counter opens at 8 a.m. and there is never a line.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Maribel - so I can only purchase the Madrid to Cordoba ticket on 1 credit card correct? The other itenary (cordoba to Seville) has to be done on another credit card. Oh and also smoking/non smoking!!!! How do I pick the non smoking compartment? I looked at the symbols next to each train but it didn't say anything about smoking.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM

We did this exact same thing last March except we didn't make any reservations, and just showed up. We had no problem on the Madrid Cordoba end. The next morning (a Sunday) we went to the train station and the next AVE was fuly booked so we just took the next train to SEville (we had about an hour wait) and it worked just fine.