From London to Paris

May 27th, 2001, 03:13 PM
victor

From London to Paris

Hello,
I am planning to visit London next month and perhaps visiting Paris too. I would like to know if it is better to go from London to Paris by plane or there is a nicer way to do it. Thanks

Best regards

May 27th, 2001, 03:21 PM
anon

EUROSTAR , faster than going to airport, checking in Etc. and it's center of town to center

May 30th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Marla

I did the Eurostar From Paris to London last August and it was great - 3 hours, door to door, pretty neat to go through the Chunnel (as long as you're not claustrophic!)

Jun 1st, 2001, 08:28 AM
Jean J.

How long is the trip through the channel? Can you tell us more about the Eurostar-comfort, etc.?

Jun 1st, 2001, 09:02 AM
John

To Jean:
You're in the tunnell about 21 minutes.
Standard class is very comfortable.
John

Jun 1st, 2001, 09:04 AM
John

Excuse me. Tunnel.

Jun 1st, 2001, 11:27 AM
Jean J.

Thanks, John- I got the idea, I don't mind how you spell tunnel!

Jun 1st, 2001, 12:09 PM
Thyra

Another vote for the tunnel, but as a little side note... be sure to eat lunch before you get on board, or plan to eat afterword, they do have food/bev carts that pass though but the quality is so so and the prices beyond high.
Otherwise, you are "Underwater" for such a tiny amount of the trip. It's really a breeze.

Jun 1st, 2001, 01:00 PM
lee

Would someone please elaborate on the best way to buy tickets for the eurostar? Is it cheaper to buy in advance? any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Jun 1st, 2001, 01:18 PM
elvira

Assuming a round trip:

Flying: 1 hr to get to Heathrow to arrive 1 hr before flight, flight lasts 1 hour, 1 hr to get into Paris. 4 hours total. $30 to/from London the airport via express train; $10<>Orly or $15<>CDG. $130airfare+ $40transportation = $170

Eurostar: 1/2 hr to get to Waterloo, arrive 1/2 hr before departure, 3 hrs on the train, 1/2 hr to get into Paris. Total 4 1/2 hrs. Subway both ways in both cities $7. $160eurostarfare + $7transportation = $167

Overnight ferry: 2 hrs to ferry port; overnight ferry; 2 hrs from ferry to Paris. Total 4 hours (don't count the crossing time because you'd be sleeping anyway). $119ferry + $128transportation = $247 (this includes one night's hotel cost, don't forget)
day ferry: 2 hrs to ferry; 6 hr crossing; 2 hrs from ferry. Total 10 hrs. $60ferry + $128transportation = $188

I've flown; pain in the patoot for such a short flight.
I've done Eurostar; I like being close to the transportation (I can walk along the Thames or visit the Courcauld before getting on the train) and I love trains.
I've done the overnight ferry; it's an experience if you've never been on a ship.
My sister did the daytime ferry; she got bored, but there was a hair salon so she got her hair cut.

Jun 1st, 2001, 01:29 PM
elvira

for tickets: http://www.eurostar.co.uk/