From London Gatwick to the Hotel

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:17 PM
xxx

From London Gatwick to the Hotel

I see that Gatwick has the Gatwick Express Train that goes to Victoria Station. What do you do from there? Take the tube or some connecting train? I have never been on a train or subway system. I am staying near Piccadilly Circus.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:39 PM
janis

Once you get to Victoria Train station you take an escalator down, cross the concourse and head down stairs to the tube station. There are signs all over to direct you. Get on the Victoria Line (light blue signs) going north and go one stop to Green Park. Exit the train and follow the signs to the Picadilly Line (dark blue signs). Go east one stop to Picadilly Circus. Unfortunately Picadilly Circus is a very confusing station with MANY exits and very spread out.

This is a VERY easy journey after you have been in town a few days. But jet lagged and with luggage I would not recommend it. I would take a cab from Victoria station to your hotel.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Ira

Agree with Janis: take a cab.

Never been on a train or subway? Kids today! Bet you've never been on a bus either. (%>)

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:05 PM
xxx

Well, Ira I'm so impressed with you. I hope it gives you great pleasure to put down other people for not being so worldly as you.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:34 PM
djk

Ira -
For your information a good portion of the US does not use Trains or subways. For example - here in Wisconsin , Buses are much more prevelant ( and affordable) than trains.
Actually , Train travel is really only prevelant on the East coast & Chicago .

In the rest of the country, there is plenty of parking and most of us either drive ourselves or use a bus.

My first trip to europe in 98 was also my first exposure to the tube, and I can sympathize with the original poster. Being thrust into Victoria station and trying to figure out what connection you need while dealing with jet lag and luggage, is like being a fish out of water.

Definitely take a cab - or check out the Gatwick website -here is some other info - you may be able to use a different train and get closer to your hotel http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/gatwick/about_gatwick_frame.html

Also - depending on how many people are in your party - you may be better off using a car hire service just to drive you from the airport direct.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 02:45 AM
MikeyMoo

In defence of Ira I would suggest this poster was talking with their tongue wedged firmly in their cheek.

Have some of you chaps NO sense of sarcasm/irony/wit

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:43 AM
xxx

Well, Mikey Moo, I have re-read the post several times and I have no idea why you feel that just because someone has never been in a subway or on a train, and yes there are thousands of us around, that we need to be made fun of.

I've heard of sarcasm, irony, and wit, but none of those are the same as nastiness or rudeness. I'll stand by my original statement.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Hello

Wow. My goodness. XXX, honestly, get a grip. Ira was clearly speaking tongue in cheek. That's what the " %> " sign means. It's a very common sign that people on e-mail use. It's a common Instant Messaging sign too. Ira was just joking and giving you a hard time. An innocent jab. No need to take it personally. Honestly, I do not think he meant anything by it. Also the comment "Kids today" is also an innocent good hearted jab. Note also that he actually DOES give you some helpful advice. If he was a "real" jerk (as I've witnessed numerous times on this website--those people who like to be condescending without any substance) then I don't think he would have said anything helpful.

Read his post again. Either accept it as an innocent light hearted jab, or just ignore it! In the meantime, I wouldn't take it personally. I'm sure he meant no harm...

Hello.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Hello

Oops, forgot to actually give my input. I would definitely take a taxi from Victoria station. Carrying around luggage in the Tube is just too stressful. There's also a lot of pickpockets out there (particularly on the tube), and there is no better target out there than someone screaming "helpless tourist" than a luggage toting individual. Also, even if you have a shoulder bag or two, it's just too stressful to carry your stuff on a crowded tube--ESPECIALLY if you have minimal experience on the tube. The taxi is just a few pounds and definitely worth it. (Piccadily Circus is just a quick 3-5 minute ride at most from Victoria station).

P.S. I've been to London, and am going back soon and have the exact same plan as you from Gatwick. The express is much quicker than any car/bus/taxi (which takes 2-4 times longer-1-2 hours-depending on traffic). It's also a quick, comfortable, and safe journey.

Hope this helps.