Notices

From Heidelberg to Nice via????

Apr 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

From Heidelberg to Nice via????

Hi - We will be in Heidelberg for business the second week of May and then in Nice from 5/14 to the 18th (the Nice portion was just added). I'm looking for ideas for the weekend between meetings (5/11-14). Verdun and Beaune are one idea if we rent a car; Berlin and then flying to Nice is another; Lakes near Geneva is one more. It will be a quick visit no matter where we go; interest is historic sites, wine/food (of course) and good scenery. About the only place in Germany we haven't seen is Berlin. Thanks!!
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:34 PM

If you are not bothered by high priced train tickets, I would personally hop over to Paris for a couple of nights and then catch the TGV to Nice... but I am partial to Paris...
May 1st, 2012, 01:39 AM

Paris sounds like a perfect destination, and Heidelberg is strategically well placed. Only 3.5 hrs by train incl. one easy connection in neighboring Mannheim.
Getting to/from Lake Geneva or Champagne/Burgundy may be not so easy (and more time-consuming).
Berlin could be a back-up solution. Train connections to there from Heidelberg are almost as fast. And I think Airberlin flies non-stop Berlin-Nice and you can book one-ways with them.

With the little time you have, I wonder if locations that are off the main rail lines aren't eating up too much time to get there.
Paris or Berlin would also have the advantage that in case of not so fine weather (May still is pretty volatile) you would have so many indoor sights to enjoy. While somewhere in the countryside you'd always run the risk to catch four rainy days in a row which may cut into the pleasure of exploring cute villages or small towns on foot.

If you rent a car you should get into FRance first. Otherwise a steep cross-border rental surcharge can apply.

Search this Thread