Search

Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal

We love Spain, history, wine and tapas. We've been several times and I lived in Spain in college for a year. I could happily return to Spain. We love Paris. In fact, that's where I thought we were going in November. I'm now having second thoughts.

We've never been to Portugal and are thinking that perhaps we should go there in November instead. I'm hoping to book tickets this week, so I've got to decide.

What are your top reasons to go to Portugal and why? Would you do a six day trip there and split it between Lisbon and OPorto?
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Was just in Portugal for a month in the Spring and absolutely loved it! Beautiful country with lots to see and good food with fabulous wine. Six days is not a lot of time and you could easily spend it all in Lisbon. but Lisbon and Porto are a great combo so you could split your time Easy to do the train between the two cities. Relative to other countries it's very reasonably priced. It's also way less crowded than Paris or Barcelona or Madrid. Not a lot of American tourists. I would think in Nov it should be lovely. I say give it a try.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
November is still a warmish month, but rain is possible. We rode bike across the base of Portugal http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/Algarve_Guide.php not bad trip in 7 days or so, you get to meet loads of locals and even some tourists.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Great thoughts and I'm likeminded. I think Portugal would be a great "old Europe" place.

Getting excited!
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 09:38 PM

As a tourist guide and Portugal lover, I would say: pick me, pick me But let me tell you a little bit about my country, so you can decide easily.
One of the oldest countries in the world. The name - Portugal - takes its origin to Portus Cale (Latin for Port of Cale) the old name of an ancient town where today is Porto.

The land within the borders of the current Portugal has been continually fought over and settled since prehistoric times. The Celts and the Romans were followed by the Visigothic and the Suebi Germanic tribes, which were themselves later invaded by the Moors, expelled during the Christian Reconquista. By 1139, Portugal established itself as an independent kingdom from León (now Spain). In the 15th and 16th centuries, as the result of pioneering the Age of Discovery, Portugal established the first global empire, becoming one of the world's major economic, political and military powers.

That's a little bit of our history and, believe me, you can see all those eras in monuments, ruins, buildings.

Portugal had its ups and downs in history, definitly. The big down was in 1755, when a big earthquake (the biggest ever in Europe), followed by a fire and a tsunami devastated the capital, Lisbon.

The brillant reconstruction of Lisbon can be seen even today, in the district known as baixa pombalina (downtown of Pombal - took the name of the 1st ministry at the time, responsible for rebulding Lisbon). Famous until today it's what he said after the earthquake, when people asked him "now what?" - "Now, bury the death ones and take care of the living ones".

Portugal has a big amount of world heritage sites, all over the country. But if there's one thing that distingues us, it's our immaterial heritage, Fado, our "blues".
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

SandraPestana - What a wonderful introduction! Okay, you've definately caught my attention. Don't stop now!
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 11:48 AM

We went to Portugal over NYE 2010/2011 and thought it was charming in cooler weather. We had quite a lot of rain so e days, but that didn't hinder us at all.

We spent 2 nights in Sintra, 5 nights in Lisbon, 5 nights in Tomar, 1 night in Marvao and 1 night in Evora. We didn't run out of things to do in Lisbon and would like to go back. A day trip to Sintra would be great. We did a day trip from tomar to Porto and would live to spend a couple nights there. I think Lisbon and Porto or even just Lisbon would make a great trip!

We can see our pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7636734183955/

Happy planning!
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

jamikins! I love your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them. You, like me, tend to forget to get yourself in the photos. I only saw one of both of you. But your other half is very cute in them.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Haha yeah I tend to hide behind the camera! Glad you enjoyed the pics, Portugal is lovely and I am sure you will have a fabulous time
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Ps : will pass on your kind words to Scott, he will be very pleased haha
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

I forwarded the link to DH and he's worried about being cold there in November. He loved the photos also. He also thinks we need a longer time there, so we may go in May. That mean's we'll be off to Paris next month instead. Thank goodness we're using miles, so we can still decide last minute!
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Oh - And don't tell Scott I said "cute." I'm sure I meant manly and handsome, virile and macho. You can take it from there.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:35 PM

It wasn't really cold...but we were there in dec and jan...not beach weather! And a bit rainy and foggy! We ate outside for lunches...but May will likely be lovely weather!

Paris is much cooler (we go the last weekend of Nov every year for our anniversary) but love that too.

Here are our mostly end of Nov or Dec pics of Paris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7636716043473/
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Haha - I went with 'very attractive' and he puffed up with pride so thank you
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

We've been to Paris in November also, which is why we picked Portugal intially. It can be chilly in Paris and Portugal's averages are 10 - 12F higher that time.

DH wants the opportunity to sail when it's warm if we can.