Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Gallarate to Brig, Switzerland and then, Paris: train tickets, prices, buy or not in advance?

From Gallarate to Brig, Switzerland and then, Paris: train tickets, prices, buy or not in advance?

Nov 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Once more, I ask for your precious help.

We are about to purchase (or let to purchase locally) the tickets for our family journey:

1- from Milan (Gallarate) to Brig, on Dec/26, at 4;57 PM;

2- then from Brig, Switzerland, to Paris, on Dec/30, at about 11 AM, via either Lausanne or Geneva.

We could buy/ book the journey Lausanne (or Geneva) -Paris-Gare de Lyon in advance, using the SNCF web site, but we will be booking separated tickets, jouneys, since we mean to spend a couple of hours in Geneve, ou Lausanne, before getting the TGV to Paris.

We are unsure if it would be risky to let to buy the other tickets other than the TGV, upon our arrival to the train stations. The journey Brig/Lausanne (91.80 Euro), or Brig/Geneve (119,40) is also available at the SNCF web site, but we wonder if it would difficult to get seats all together if we buy the tickets in Brig on Dec/27, instaed of buying them via web.

The tickets for the journey Gallarate/Brig would have to be booked via the Brazilian Rail Europe agent, that charges a very expensive fee for each ticket issued, US$ 29 . Does anynone know if we could easily get our tickets considering it will be December, 26, the Sunday after Christmas Day, when likely the Italians living in Brig, Lausanne, Geneva are coming back home after spending the holidays in Italy?

Thanks!

Ceci
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Oops, when I wrote: We could buy/ book the journey Lausanne (or Geneva) -Paris-Gare de Lyon in advance, I meant to say that we could book the entire journey Brig-Paris via SNCF, but we want to buy separated tickets, Brig/Lausanne (or Geneva), and Geneva( Lausanne)/Paris.

Also, what you think is the most interesting to spend a couple of hours at, Lausanne or Geneva? We intend to break the 6 hours train travel by doing this, so that the kids and the parents don't get too bored.
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have some advice? Please?
Nov 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM

I think Lausanne would be a better stopover because it is much smaller. Geneva is HUGE so to spend just a few hours might be more stressful than enjoyable.

Lausanne sits right on the lake, with gorgeous views, has a beautiful "old town" and a very authentic Swiss feeling.
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suze, for the advice.

Anyone else?
Nov 21st, 2004, 11:15 AM

You are going to be in Brig for four days..or are you going on to Zermatt?

You should be able to buy everything once you arrive in Italy. There are a lot of services between these cities (Milano-Brig; Brig Lausanne/Geneva) although I could not guarantee you will have trouble I am simply doubtful you won;t get seats if you wait..are you planning on taking an IC from Mioan to Brig or a Cisalpino? The latter would be more likely to require a seat reservation IMO.

You can get direct TGV services/connections from either Lausanne or Geneva. As someone already mentioned, Lausanne is somewhat smaller in size than Geneva and you might find it easier to stop off there.
Nov 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid1, my family's flying into Malpensa. From there, the easier, closer train station is Gallarate, as per the advise I got from Steve_James on another thread. There's only one direct train from Gallarate to Brig, the 126 EC CISALPINO LEMANO at a suitable time, since their plane lands at 2:20 PM.

They could, alternatively, take the Cisalpino 36 from Milano centrale into Brig but they would have to transfer from MXP to Milano centrale, a 50 mins journey, and Gallarate is closer, about 10 to 15 mins.

They will stay in Brig overnight, and head then to Saas Fee for a 3 nights stay.

There's no train station in Saas Fee, and one has to train to Brig, and from there, take the bus into Saas Fee.

They'll have, anyway, to connect in Lausanne or Geneva in their way from Brig to Paris, but they are still unsure if taking some time for a stroll, and maybe a lunch in either place is a better idea than taking the TGV into Paris immediately.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:56 AM

Hi Ceci,

May I suggest the beautiful town of Morges as a spot to get out and stretch? Morges is just west of Lausanne, so it won't be out of the way. Morges has an absolutely charming cobbled, pedestrian-only main street dotted with cafes, restaurants, and patisseries. It also has a lovely flowered lakeside promenade with a few restaurants overlooking the lake. Finally, it has a small park filled with grassy areas, huge trees, and flowers (when I was there in May, I saw the results of their tulip festival -- gorgeous!); the park is next to the lake, making it a very scenic and peaceful spot. I think your family will be able to eat, stretch, unwind, and run off a lot of steam in this beautiful town.

I don't like cities at all, so I can't recommend either Lausanne or Geneva, sorry! But a little out of their way might be Vevey, another charming town (east of Lausanne) with lots of restaurants & cafes clustered around the old town's central square. There is a nice lakeside promenade too.

I hope this helps.

s
Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:20 AM

Ceci - It's still more convenient (- and cheaper) for them to catch the train from Gallarate. No need to waste time going via Milan ...

There's the DIRECT IC train from Gallarate to Brig at 15.38 (arr. Brig 17.22).

Otherwise there are later trains from Gallarate at:

16.37 (arr. Brig 18.45) - with a change of train at DOMODOSSOLA

or

18.07 (arr. Brig 19.55) - with a change of train at STRESA

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Swanday, and Steve, once more, thanks for the advise.

I'll talk to Roberto about Morges and Vevey as nice places to strech out. Both sound lovely! However, they'd have to store the luggage in either, Geneva or Lausanne, since the TGV departs only from these stations.

Steve, I think they won't make it for the 15:38 train, but hopefully will be at Gallarate at 4:20, no later, to catch the 16:57 direct train to Brig.

Do you have an idea of how much these tickets will cost, Steve? We're figuring something like 20 Euro for the adults, each, and half thisprice for each kid.