Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Edinburgh to London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-edinburgh-to-london-1015022/)

Jeof May 22nd, 2014 06:06 AM

From Edinburgh to London

Hi! I am a student from the Philippines. I am attending a conference in Edinburgh, but I'd like to spend two days in London before going home. I was thinking of taking the East coast rail from Edinburgh to London, but I'm not sure which station in London should I get off. Could you please help me plan my trip to London to make the most of it? Could you also suggest some strategic place to stay in London where I can see most of the tourist sites. Thank you!

BigRuss May 22nd, 2014 06:33 AM

<<I'm not sure which station in London should I get off.>>

The terminus. Kings Cross. That's your only option.

<<Could you also suggest some strategic place to stay in London where I can see most of the tourist sites.>>

If you mean a single location close to all tourist sites, it won't happen. London is the largest city in Western Europe. The "tourist sites" are scattered throughout the city.

And until you say what you want to see and do, no one can help you plan for your interests.

dwdvagamundo May 22nd, 2014 07:34 AM

While we can't guess your interests, we can say that a strategic place to stay is one that is on the Tube line so you can get around easily. Kings Cross train station is also St. Pancras tube station and three lines intersect there. From a quick Google search, there appear to be a number of US chain style hotels hear there (Travelodge, Comfort Inn) that might suit you.

While it's not the most exciting area of London, it's convenient and (I think) safe enough. With just two days, I'd see what you can find around there.

dotheboyshall May 22nd, 2014 09:57 AM

If you are flying home from Heathrow then either in the immediate area around Kings Cross or somewhere like South Kensington / Earls Court.

This means that you can use the Piccadilly Line from Kings Cross and to Heathrow.

Jeof May 22nd, 2014 04:53 PM

Thank you very much for your responses. If I were to arrive in Kings Cross Station at around 11:30 in the evening, do you think there will still be public transport that goes to this address: 53 Eccleston Square, London, England? Any suggestions how to get to this address around that time?

janisj May 22nd, 2014 06:17 PM

>>If I were to arrive in Kings Cross Station at around 11:30 in the evening, do you think there will still be public transport that goes to this address: 53 Eccleston Square<<

Sure - no problem at all. The tube runs that late so you'd take the Victoria Line from Kings Cross to Victoria and walk the short distance to Eccleston Square.

The tube ride is pretty quick but but the walk through Victoria station and on to Eccleston Square plan on about 10 - 15 minutes. The whole thing from getting off the train to arrival at your B&B/hostel/hotel should take about 1/2 an hour.

Jeof May 23rd, 2014 12:50 AM

Thank you!