Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Dingle to Kilkenny- should we overnight in Kinsale or Kenmare?

May 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Would like to see the Rock of Cashel. Don't really care about the Blarney Stone. We are "doing" the Ring of Dingle and skipping the ROK.
Kinsale seems like the logical choice and would break up the drive nicely between Dingle and Kilkenny. But it was suggested to me that Kenmare is a nicer town. Thoughts? We will just have spent 2 nights in Dingle... just looking for a charming, scenic town with some nice stops along the way.

As always, dining suggestions are welcome!!!

thanks
May 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM

I've only been to Kenmare, but it seems to be more on the 'way' than Kinsale is. It also has some great food for such a small town.

In Dingle, we had some great Chinese at Tir na Ri
May 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Wouldn't you want to stay in or around Cashel? More on the way to Kilkenny, unless you have more than one night on your hands.

I've been through Kenmare a couple of times, and stayed in Kinsale for several nights. Kenmare seems okay, I don't know why it would be considered nicer than Kinsale, which has the harbor and lovely sea views.
May 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts.... still not sure what to do. Another thought- my dad and husband would LOVE to get another golf game in... somewhere, anywhere. Doesn't have to be fancy (they're playing both courses at Ballybunion Monday & Tuesday.) In fact, they would love to be a "local" course.

So if there was a course they could play near either Kinsale, Kenmare, OR Cashel they would be elated! The only problem w/ golf is that it eats up so much time- a good 4 hours or so. That said, my mom and I are more than happy to wander cute towns, drink a glass of wine, and shop....

I hadn't really considered Cashel... it's a nice charming town?

I'm still quite torn and unsure what the best option is... although, I guess we can't go "wrong" with any of them.
May 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Haven't been, so this is hearsay, but you could try either the Ring of Kerry Golf Course about 4 miles outside Kenmare or the Kenmare Golf Course which is right next to town. Ring of Kerry has absolutely beautiful cottages (but is not walking distance) to town. Sheen View Holiday Homes has (also beautiful based on pictures) 3 bedroom homes walking distance to town, but I don't know if you can rent them on a daily basis. If you're interested I can give you a direct e-mail to either. We're staying at Sheen View for nine day in July. People I've talked to rave about Kenmare and Frommers says it has great shopping and restaurants. Oh - both golf courses reasonably priced (40-50 euros).
May 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM

We drove through Cashel on the way from Kilkenny to Kenmare. The Rock was fantastic, but there didn't seem to be much of a town, at least not a "charming" one. We loved Kenmare - it's a cute town near the water. We stayed at WatersEdge B&B and really enjoyed it. Had dinner at Davitt's and Prego in Kenmare - both were good.

We were originally going to stop in Kinsale between Kilkenny and Kenmare, but the distance between the two from Kilkenny was negligible if I recall correctly so we chose Kenmare and were very pleased.
May 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Kenmare just isn't far enough away from Dingle to justify staying there, because you'll end up with the majority of driving the next day.

You could go through west Cork (through Clonakilty which is nice) and stay in Kinsale. Or along the M8 from Dingle, I'm sure you could find something between Mallow, Tipperary/Cahir area? I'm sorry I dont know that region, but I'm just checking the map which would put you about half-way there.
May 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

I think we've decided we're going to "wing it." We leave Dingle Thursday... hoping to be in Kilkenny Friday and Dublin Sat. (fly home Sunday... my husband and I are skipping DUB this trip... mom and dad are staying a few more days to tour Dublin.)
So our night is open Thursday, June 10.
Looking forward to the ROC... and hopefully meeting travelers in Dingle that can give us a rec or two.
Does this seem like a bad idea? I hope not! The only thing that worries me is we require 2 double rooms.... but hopefully this early in June won't be too busy.
May 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM

After Dingle we stayed in Kenmare....nice, pretty town. However I would say Kinsale is a little more interesting. We stayed there in The Old Presbytery Guest House, ..Very nice, accommodating, comfortable, and small parking area through to the back from a tight street. Kinsale is touted as a big gourmet food town with a festival in the Fall and some nice restaurants. Can't recommend one for you however.

WE DID drive out to The OLD HEAD Golf Links (google it), but couldn't get in the gate. It's one of the most beautiful and striking golf settings we've ever seen (on a gorgeous penisula),,,as you can see in the pictures. VERY Ritzy, but would be fun to play.

Dingle is VERY Nice and you'll enjoy it , I'm sure. The Slea Head drive outside Dingle is beautiful and as others have said ..."better" than the Ring of Kerry. Loved the SLea Head drive, and apparently the Ring of Kerry is VERY long and crowded and one often sees only the back of the bus in front of your car. No matter what,,,,the whole West of Ireland is wonderful!!! Nice people~~~very green etc.
May 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM

This is a no brainer - KINSALE - much nicer than Kenmare and even if it is not the direct route - it is always nice to stray a little in Ireland - this is a beautiful part of a beautiful country. I'll be there myself in Oct - can't wair!
May 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM

I did the opposite trip. I stayed in Kilkenny for one night, ate breakfast the next morning, and left around 9:30 am. We were on our way to Dingle and stopped at Rock of Cashel along the way. We arrived in Dingle at around 4:30 pm. It is definitely a long drive but if you don't mind it then it is definitely doable in my opinion.
May 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM

We were in both last summer...stayed in Kenmare - loved it, small, really only one/two main streets for shopping/dinning..the music was incredible...but wished we had stayed in Kinsdale...(actually would have not eliminated kenmare would have eliminated cork (big city feel)...kinsdale was beautiful - great quaint town - on the water...bigger than kenmare...but not too big..the kenmare golf course looked lovely....many of the b&bs are a walk to town..a bad walk..we drove...loved the trip, did dingle instead of kerry as well...loved, loved that!
May 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM

So where did you all stay in Kenmare and Kinsale-----looking for ideas.
May 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM

I know a couple of restaurants in Kinsale, the Man Friday (right over the water and handily right across the street from the great Spaniard Pub) and in town Fishy Fishy - both quite good!
May 20th, 2010, 07:54 AM

I've heard good things about Fishy Fishy, too.
May 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM

We stayed at The Lodge in Kenmare in April. Huge, comfortable rooms, across from the golf course, and an easy walk into town. More like a little hotel than a B&B, and we enjoyed Rosemary's breakfasts (and personality!)
May 22nd, 2010, 04:28 AM

I did not spend the night in Kenmare, but I did visit both there and Kinsale. I spent the night in Kinsale and loved it. We were at the 'Old Bakery b&b.' Host family was very nice and cooked up one of the better 'Irish' breakfasts of our trip. I very much enjoy the water and boats, so I loved seeing the sailboats come and go in Kinsale. There is a pub restaurant called The Spanaird that is pretty ideal for a feel of Ireland... turf burning in the bar, low ceilings, dark atmosphere... Loved it!

have a great trip!
May 30th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, it sounds like Kinsale gets all the votes! Maybe I should book a place to stay? Or do you think we'll do okay to leave it open and find a room? (fwiw- we'll be there next Thurs. night, 10 June- woot!)
TPAYT- we have not left yet- we depart on Friday