From DC/Baltimore to Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I want to return to Provence from Washington DC area. We used to be able to get a non-stop from Dulles to Milan or a 2-stop from Baltimore to Pisa.

What's going on? Any suggestions for fewest stops. We can take trains once we get to Milan, Pisa or Rome but my golly getting there looks tortuous!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Why not fly to Paris and connect to Marseille?
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Because I meant to say Tuscany not Provence-grrr!

Although we could go non-stop to Paris and book from there. Stay tuned.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I don't think you are ever going to get a nonstop from DC/Baltimore to Provence (I could be wrong, Nice or Marseille would be the best bets), but it is very very easy to get there by one stop in Paris. Both Air France and United fly nonstop from IAD to Paris, then you either take a local flight or the train, which gets there in a few hours (at least to Avignon). I've done it several times (it doesn't cost much at all for the connecting flight if you do the whole trip on Air France). I am sure there are also multiple options by flying nonstop to London and then taking local flights from London to Marseille.

I don't think finding these options just be difficult, just go to some airline search engine and find them.

I don't know why you are wanting to go to Italy so much, especially Pisa, in this itinerary. I guess you can get to Nice from Milan, but going through Italy isn't the preferable option to get to Provence. I assume you don't mean Nice when you say Provence, although there are definitely flights from Paris and London to Nice.

Im sure there are other options of a nonstop from IAD to some major city where you can find a connecting flight to Nice or Marseille -- such as Brussels or Frankfurt. United/Lufthansa flies nonstop to Brussels and Frankfurt. I know there are flights from Brussels to Marseilles on Brussels air or Ryanair, although I don't know if they are nonstop, but you could check.

I use itasoftware.com to search for possibilities often, you can limit the number of stops you want to view on that tool. I would just go through Paris myself.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM

You can get a flight from DC to Rome easily enough - and then just train from there. (Probably arrive before your on-going flight to wherever would have taken off.)