Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From CDG to Normandy without renting a car

Jul 5th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Ian

I read many posts here that recommend renting a car in CDG on arrival and driving to Normandy. We will be arriving in CDG after a long flight from the West Coast and prefer not do rent a car in CDG but somewhere in Normandy. What are our options? Thanks for your help

Jul 5th, 2002, 12:54 PM
elvira

To get from CDG to Normandy via public transportation requires changing from the RER or bus to a train in Paris. Totally yucky after flying in from the Coast (I fly from Phoenix and am barely coherent upon arrival). I would suggest you spend the night in Paris in a hotel on the Right Bank near Gare St Lazare (trains for Normandy leave from there). Catch as early a train as you want (it's about a 4 hour ride to Bayeux, for example, and 2 hours to Caen) and arrange for a car pickup at your arrival city. Another alternative is to take the RER from CDG to Pt St Michel; change to RER C line to Versailles and pick up the car in Versailles (again, I suggest you spend the night in Versailles and start your trip to Normandy the next day).

There's no easy way to get from CDG to Normandy via public transportation.

Jul 5th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Alicia

My husband and I just got back from a trip to France. I agree-renting a car after a long flight can be exhausting. There is a train that leaves at 12:25 from Gare St. Lazarre to Caen. You can take the RER B and change to RER C to get to Gare St lazare or take a taxi-could be quite expensive for the taxi. Check www.scnf.com for other times and places for the train. The RER is very accessible from CDG1 & 2-we took it ourselves. If you plan to travel with two or more people for 4 days or more via train, you can get a France saver pass. This is very reasonable and you have the option to add days to it. We got a first class saver pass for 8 days for around $300 each- www.raileurope.com. Reservations to ride TGV with this pass were only 6 euros for both of us.
Have agreat trip!

Jul 6th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Ian

Thank you both.It looks like we better off staying in Paris for the first night.

Jul 6th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Janine

I don't blame you not wanting to jump into a hire car coming straight off a long flight. Another option I used which was recommended to me recently by another poster was to arrange to be picked up by the Paris Shuttle at CDG. You could get them to drop you at St Lazare and catch the train straight from there if you really want to avoid staying overnight. (But my personal preference would still be to enjoy an evening in Paris and start again fresh the next day).
Bonnes vacances

Jul 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Frank

You can fly to Rouen or Caen. I don't know what airlines fly there and from what airport in Paris but maybe someone on this forum knows