Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Brussels airport to hotel. Train or Taxi??

Apr 25th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

I arrive in Brussels around noon on Saturday. Staying at Hotel Bristol Stephanie, 91-93 Avenue Louise. Am told a cab is 25 Euro or so. Does anyone know if I can take a train? Difficult? What stop?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I suspect a taxi will be a little higher...closer to 35 or 40€.

It's not at all difficult to take the train, you can catch one right in the airport, simply go down to the lowest level. Take the train to Midi (Zuid) station and then catch the metro (#2 line, direction Simonis) up three stops to Louise. From the Place Louise it's a short walk up the Ave. Louise past the shops and the Place Stephanie to the Bristol OR you can transfer to the #93 or #94 trams and get off at either the first stop (Stephanie) and walk up about two minutes to the hotel or to the next stop and walk a few minutes back down the Ave. Louise to your hotel.

Another option is to take the airport train to Midi and pick up a cab from there to the Bristol. The taxi fare should be 10€ max (probably less). That's the option I would go for if I weren't taking a taxi directly from the airport.

The final option is to the take an airport bus to the Luxembourg train station (in the EU district) and grab a taxi to the hotel there. The bus goes past NATO and the EU area, so if you'd like to get a glimpse of those, it's worth considering.
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

BTilke, Thank you so much for the detailed info. By tram do you mean bus? Maybe too difficult with luggage?
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM

No, I mean tram as in...tram. Streetcar, I guess. Definitely not a bus. If you have a small suitcase, mass transit is fine. With a full size suitcase, then you might prefer a taxi from Midi. It's a short ride and once you recover from the "stimulation" of traffic around the train station, a cab ride is fine.

Enjoy the Bristol, it's supposed to be a good hotel! If breakfast isn't included, two good places to go are Le Pain Quotidien (there is one very near the Bristol, on the opposite side of the Ave. Louise and PQ makes the best croissants in town) or Caffe Natural, a little farther "up" the Ave. Louise at the intersection with rue Bailli. Great cappuccinos there.

Will you be there this weekend? If so, try to take in the Laeken royal greenhouses, they're only open to the public once a year.
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again. I guess I just didn't picture a steetcar. That would work as I have a small suitcase and a small carry-on. Yes, I will be there this weekend. Planning a trip to Bruges on Monday. Will the greenhouses be open both Saturday and Sunday? What a treat. I am a plant/flower person. I appreciate the suggestion! And thanks for the recs near the hotel.
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Yes, they're open this week-end. They're closed on Monday, tho, a good time to go to Bruges. Some more info

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/events/~28356.jml
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I don't know why the whole link didn't come up, trying again.

If that doesn't work, simply google laeken+greenhouses the link will be one of the first few hits.

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/events/~28356.jml
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:19 PM

BTilke,
Try http://tinyurl.com for long URLs.
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM

I don't think it was a particularly long url. And it copied fine when I sent the link to someone else, just not here.