Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Bournemouth to France by ferry via Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:52 PM
betsy

We are traveling from London to France around 18 June. Of course the most popular route is via the Chunnel. Would taking the ferry from Bournemouth through the Channel Islands be an attractive alternative? We're not in a hurry and like to travel off the beaten track. Does anyone out there have information about the ferry schedule through these islands? <BR> <BR>Thank you so much for your reply.

Old May 25th, 2000, 09:06 PM
Tony

I've never been to the Channel Islands, but your idea sounds good. Jersey and Guernsey are slightly upmarket holiday areas, which I've been told are very pleasant' <BR>To get there there are about 3 sailings per day from Poole, which is near Bournemouth, journey time 3 hours to Guernsey, 4 hours to Jersey, with a company called Condor Ferries, Tel. + <BR>44 1305 761 551. <BR>From Guernsey and Jersey to St.Malo in France the operator is Emeraude Lines, who do have a web site, not sure about Condor's web site. You can locate Emeraude lines on Yahoo, UK & Ireland.

Old May 25th, 2000, 09:18 PM
nickie

Did some research a few months ago about the same thing - you can get information on Condor by searching for Guernsey. There's also a little plane that hops from island to island.

Old May 25th, 2000, 09:28 PM
nickie

Just looked in my notes, and a helpful Fodorite had given me this website, which has a lot of info on the islands - www.jersey-channel-isles.com.

Old May 26th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Sue

Just a caution. I took the ferry from Bornemouth to Jersey some years ago and was extremely sea sick! It can be a very rough crossing.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:22 AM
bournemouthbabe

Why not fly from Bournemouth to Jersey, much quicker than the ferry from Poole (aka The Vomit Comet.) I know you're not in a hurry, but this way would give you more time to explore the Channel Islands. Jersey and Guernsey are very English, but with interesting history if you like WW2. Great beaches though. You might prefer to spend time on Sark where no cars are allowed.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Ben

Condor's website, with times & booking facility is at http://www.condorferries.co.uk/

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Jean

I would also recommend you fly from London to Jersey/Guernsey. The ferry just takes too long and the seasickness factor is genuine. However, be aware that flights are always contingent upon good weather at any time of year.<BR><BR>Jersey is the most touristy. Guernsey is also touristy but a bit more quaint. Alderney is the least touristy of the main islands but also has the least to see unless you're into Napoleanic and Nazi-occupation history. Personally, I'd pick Guernsey. Nice hiking, a couple of nice beaches, decent selection of hotels, restaurants and shopping. If you decide on Alderney, I can recommend the Belle Vue Hotel but ask for a room not immediately above the bar. Can't recommend a hotel on Guernsey as we stayed with friends.