Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Bordeaux to Toulouse (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-bordeaux-to-toulouse-1041299/)

laverendrye Mar 27th, 2015 05:41 AM

From Bordeaux to Toulouse

After a week in Périgord based in La Roque-Gageac, we will be driving from Bordeaux to Toulouse in early October. From Bordeaux, we will have four nights before arriving in Toulouse where we will stay for two nights before flying home. I have spent time in the Dordogne region before, but have never been south of Rocamadour.

We would like to see Pech-Merle and Carcassonne. Other possibilities are St. Cirq-Lapopie (I know that it is touristy, but perhaps not too crowded in October), Cahors, Moissac, Albi, and Cordes.

I know that four days is not much time to cover this area. Any suggestions for an itinerary? It would be simpler to start south from La Roque, but for a number of reasons we must go first to Bordeaux where we will likely spend a night.

StuDudley Mar 27th, 2015 06:34 AM

Figeac in that region is one of our favorites. We like it a much more than Cahors. Pick up a walking itinerary at the TI & follow it. Drive up the beautiful Cele river from St Cirq Lapopie to Figeac and admire all the cliff dwellings & small villages along the way.

Probably a good plan would to stay near St Cirq for 2 nights & near Cordes for 2 nights. While near Cordes, visit the Gorges de l'Averyon, St Antonin Noble Val, & Bruniquel.

Stu Dudley

Jeff801 Mar 27th, 2015 07:24 AM

Carcassonne is some distance southeast of Toulouse, and extending the trip there will essentially take a full day away from the rich experiences available between Bordeaux and Toulouse, not the least of which would be visiting me about 100 kilometers from Bordeaux.

Seriously, consider day one, Bergerac, Lalinde area, perhaps staying in Monpazier and visiting the Chateau de Biron, then a day or two in the Sarlat-Beynac-Domme area, and a final day at St.Circ Lapopie, Les Eyzies, and spend the evening in Cahors.

Search Stu Dudley in this forum for his posted trip guides in that part of France.

laverendrye Mar 27th, 2015 08:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I know that Carcassonne is south of Toulouse, but was thought that it would be a reasonable drive from Albi, Cordes or even Figeac. I think that from Carcassonne to Toulouse is a short by autoroute.

Jeff801. As I mentioned, we will be spending a week based in the Sarlat - Beynac - Domme area, and have visited Monpazier and Chateau Biron before. We'll have time to visit the Bergerac and Lalinde area if we wish before heading to Bordeaux. Any other suggestions for further south? I presume you mean Pech-Merle and not Les Eyzies which is a short drive from La Roque-Gageac where we will be staying.

Stu. Any suggestions for places to stay outside St. Cirq? What about the village itself--too crowded? Is Cahors a good base for Pech-Merle and St. Cirq?

Michael Mar 27th, 2015 08:21 AM

Why go from the Dordogne to Bordeaux to get to Toulouse and any of the areas south of Rocamadour?

StuDudley Mar 27th, 2015 08:44 AM

I would stay in St Cirq - perhaps at La Sombral. The good part abouut staying in a village that gets crowded at mid-day, is that you won't be there mid-day. Only early morning & late afternoon - when the day trippers have gone home.
http://www.lesombral.com/

I would not stay in Cahors. Getting in & our is difficult (we spent 2 weeks close to Cahors in '13).

Stu Dudley

laverendrye Mar 27th, 2015 09:41 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, Stu.

Michael. As I mentioned, it would be much simpler to head south straight from La Roque, but travel plans of others in the party make it necessary to go to Bordeaux first. This is one of the reasons that I am seeking some help with the itinerary.

Michael Mar 27th, 2015 10:43 AM

If your friends were nice they would look for a public transportation alternative:
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/train...on_560_49.aspx

laverendrye Mar 27th, 2015 01:12 PM

It's more complicated than that. The details are irrelevant Just accept that we have to start in Bordeaux. As I have said several times, I do realize that it would be simpler to head south from La Roque-Gageac. I am able to read a map.

kja Mar 27th, 2015 05:18 PM

I also enjoyed a stay at la Sombral in St. Circ Lapopie -- it isn't a fancy place, but I thought it had charm.

Pech Merle is breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking.

I really enjoyed Albi -- the cathedral is amazing, and if you have any interest in Toulouse-Lautrec, the museum there is well worth seeing.

And I adored Toulouse itself, and wish I'd had more than the 1.5 days I gave it.

Enjoy!

Michael Mar 27th, 2015 11:06 PM

Villages worth looking at between Bordeaux and Toulouse:" Labastide d'Armagnac, Larressingle, Auvillar, Tillac, Bassoues, Fourcès, Monflanquain. More important towns are Moissac with its church and cloister, and Montauban with its Place de la République and Ingres museum.

laverendrye Mar 28th, 2015 06:52 AM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. They will be most helpful to me in putting together my itinerary.

laverendrye Apr 3rd, 2015 05:42 AM

A further question: if one had to choose between the caves at Font-de-Gaume and Pech Merle, which would be your preference?

StuDudley Apr 3rd, 2015 06:15 AM

Pech Merle - hands down. Much more stuff to see there. It has pre-historic cave paintings, handprints, footprint, and stalactites & mites. And a huge tree root from above ground growing into the cave. Font de Gaume only has drawings that are sometimes hard to see. There is also a museum at Pech Merle.

Stu Dudley

kja Apr 3rd, 2015 04:15 PM

I agree with Stu. And I was glad to see both! :-)

laverendrye Apr 4th, 2015 03:02 AM

Thanks Stu and kja.