Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/from-biarritz-to-paris-2-extra-nights-1425944/)

JAD867 Jun 22nd, 2017 12:48 PM

From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights

I have posted several times to plan this trip, but I still need a little more help.
I now have:
2 nights in Bordeaux
4 nights in Dordogne with day trips
4 nights in Biarritz
2 free nights- need help, no longer want to go to Rennes
1 night in Paris (I realize this is a waste, but been there/done that with the ex, so not doing Paris this trip)

I love to hike and bike (not intensely but can handle 10-20 mile journeys) and want to know if Toulouse is a good base for that, as it is at least a little on the way to Paris. I don't want too small of a village for those 2 nights, so if Toulouse works, I can enjoy the active part and still have plenty of options for nightlife. (I'm turning 50, so not looking for clubs, but at least it's a city with plenty of restaurants/bars).

Or, should I make the trek up to La Rochelle? It's a 4-5 hour train ride, so not sure it's worth it. Toulouse is only 2 hours from Biarritz. FYI, I am not a foodie, so I am not trying to sample all the various cuisines. Just the wine. Any ideas would be most welcome.

PalenQ Jun 22nd, 2017 01:09 PM

Toulouse is great for that and anything. Could do a day trip to Carcassonne or bike/hike along the towpath of the Canal du Midi from Toulouse. You are taking trains all the time?

JAD867 Jun 22nd, 2017 01:46 PM

Thanks PalenQ. Yes- not renting a car.

PalenQ Jun 22nd, 2017 01:57 PM

Take regional trains then that are a bit slower on say Biarritz-Toulose and stay away from TGVs that have much higher fares and demand seat reservations before boarding. Probably gave these train sources before but if not check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Albi is another really sweet nice old town you may consider IME.

StCirq Jun 22nd, 2017 02:52 PM

You can get easily from Toulouse (a wonderful city) to Albi as a day trip. Highly recommend it. I still think you'd prefer La Rochelle/Ile de Ré, but of course it's up to you.

PalenQ Jun 22nd, 2017 03:26 PM

Yes for hiking or biking La Rochelle (***Michelin city I think) for its unique port appearance and the wild Ile de Re opposite it -I've taken the superb footpath that parallels the rugged Re coast from La Rochelle.

JAD867 Jun 24th, 2017 06:24 AM

i agree i'd prefer La Rochelle- but the only trains departing on Sunday the 16th are at 5pm and 6pm, and it's a 5 hour ride so i give up the entire evening (although I get a full day). The 15th offers 4pm, not much better. Have ruled out local flights. Pricey and just as time consuming. However, given that I'm not renting a car and not hopping around too terribly much, is it worth it?

StCirq Jun 24th, 2017 08:42 AM

Where are you looking for trains? I see loads of them on the 16th, starting at around 7:46 am and continuing all day. ???

PalenQ Jun 24th, 2017 03:48 PM

check www.bahn.de/en for quick schedules for all European trains -simplest and easiest to decipher that I've seen -can't buy tickets but reliable gives all the rail connections.

JAD867 Jun 25th, 2017 04:21 AM

Thanks all!

PalenQ Jun 25th, 2017 08:08 AM

Seems that you can leave Biarritz 10:00am and change in Bordeaux to regional train to La Rochelle -getting there at 3 pm -just over five hours.

La Rochelle has direct trains to Paris I think - probably via Rennes!

JAD867 Jul 3rd, 2017 07:20 AM

Decided on Toulouse, mostly b/c I preferred the hotel and dining options of a larger city. I plan on returning many times to France, so I will just have to keep La Rochelle on my list! Now I need to decide whether to do a day trip from Biarritz to Barcelona, or cut my 4 nights down in Biarritz to stay overnight....

StCirq Jul 3rd, 2017 09:32 AM

Why not do a daytrip or an overnight from Biarritz to San Sebastián? Best food on the planet and an absolutely gorgeous setting! And easy travel on local trains.

Robert2016 Jul 3rd, 2017 09:46 AM

We just did 3 nights in Bordeaux and could have used a couple more. There is a great restaurant scene and the launch of the new high speed rail, the LGV from Paris (2hr 8min), will make it even more popular.

Robert2016 Jul 3rd, 2017 09:49 AM

Day trip from Biarritz to Barcelona? Have you looked at a map? It's possible, if all you want to do is waste a day.

PalenQ Jul 3rd, 2017 10:22 AM

Why not do a daytrip or an overnight from Biarritz to San Sebastián? Best food on the planet and an absolutely gorgeous setting! And easy travel on local trains.>

Yes or even a day trip is very easy by train - train to Hendaye, border station and take the lovely narrow-gauge euskotren train that rolls thru Basque towns to downtown Donostia (San Sebastian) - a real local train but frequent compared to spotty service by mainline SNCF/RENFE trains changing at Irun. Euskotren is like a commuter rail - flat fare dirt cheap just buy tickets at Hendaye Euskotren station.

http://www.euskotren.eus/

It would take all day to go by train or car to Barcelona one way I would think.

kja Jul 3rd, 2017 03:43 PM

I adored Toulouse and think it should your needs well.

Personally, I would not even consider a day trip from anywhere to Barcelona, a delightful city that IMO easily merits a first visit of 5 or 6 days. JMO.

PalenQ Jul 4th, 2017 06:54 AM

St-Jean-de-Luz really close to Biarritz is a real nice seaside town with character.