Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

from bellagio in june thinking of day-trip to either st.moritz,lugano,or bergamo

Search

from bellagio in june thinking of day-trip to either st.moritz,lugano,or bergamo

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will have a car. looking for beautiful scenic drive and/or quaint, charming town. which would you recommend? any other destination?
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Since you'll already be enjoying lake scenery, instead of going on to another lake (Lugano), I suggest heading towards Sankt Moritz, the Val Brgaglia and maybe even the Ober-Engadin. Be sure to visit the village of Soglio, just over the Swiss border.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM

I agree with Soglio, but also look at Val Verzasca north of Locarno for a unique expereince--include the day you see Lugano if you can.
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

thank you both! is soglio in the mountains? why special? michelin has 1:45 for bellagio to sankt moritz. sound right?
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM

Hi bodhijack. I would agree with the Soglio/San Moritz suggestion. I was just there in March. (You can read about it by searching "Trip Report: Northern Italy and Switzerland&quot. Soglio is, indeed, in the mountains and very picturesque with great hikes nearby. The trip from there to San Moritz is through majestic Alpine scenery. Absolutely breathtaking. The town of San Moritz, in my opinion, is nothing great--unless you are into high end shopping. Ingo, who knows the area well, recommends Sils which is close to San Moritz, and says it is a more charming town. If you do this drive, be prepared for hairpin turns at one point just before or after the town of Maloja.

Lugano is also a nice town, but much closer to Bellagio and not so scenic a drive. You can also read about my time there in my trip report. I have not been to Bergamo.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:47 AM

Jack - Have you thought of doing San Moritz by train? The Bernina express is a great ride ...

Steve
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM

How hard is it to go to Lugano from Bellagio with out a car. Thought I saw something about a bus from Menaggio. How long a trip would it be and could you do it as a day trip?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:25 AM

Larrya - It's a lovely day-trip - and very easy.

Yes - there is a bus service from Menaggio. It's about an hour's journey. You can find timetables on:

http://www.sptcomo.it/

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:49 AM

If you go to St Moritz you can:

- stop in Morbegno at the amazing Ciapponi cheese, wine, etc. shop - http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/...slowfood.html- plan at least an hour to see everything i there and sample the cheeses!

- have lunch at Lanterna Verde, one of the very best restaurants in the vicinity of Lake Como http://www.beginningwithi.com/food/lantverd.html

Enjoy!

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

wow! more great info than expected! definetly going to st moritz via soglio........