From Amstersdam to Bruge--worth it?

Nov 6th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

From Amstersdam to Bruge--worth it?

We will only be in Amsterdam a few days--Some in our group want to go to Delft some to Bruge, Belgium. Which to pick and any suggestions for sights or restaurants in either place.Please reply quickly--leaving next week.Thanks
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM

Personally, I would do both: Delft and Brugge. Maybe that's what you are going to understand once you've seen the A'dam drug and prostitution scene.

For Brugge, check www.brugge.be
Stay away from the restaurants around the Market square.
Nov 7th, 2003, 01:29 AM

Delft is much closer, of course, so you'll have more time fir sightseeing. If you do decide to go to Brugge, leave early and come home late so you have to full day. Both Delft and Brugge and wonderful just for walking around. In Brugge, the Groeninge museum is my personal favorite sight. Some good places to stop are the Est wine bar and the Rockfort bistro/restaurant.
If someone in your group fancies high end leather goods--Delvaux, Louis Vuitton, Chanel--but can't afford (or won't pay) the high prices, there's a little store called Secondo behind the Crowne Plaza Hotel that sells certified high end purses, etc., at terrific prices (they're all second hand but most are in like new condition, and NO fakes).
Will you be driving or taking the train? It will take you over three hours to get to Brugge by train. If you don't fancy spending six hours in a train (3 hours down, 3 hours back), stick with Delft.
If the group opts for Delft, you might want to consider stopping in Leiden also, a really nice town, although I *think* the train station is a bit of a hike from downtown Leiden.
Unless somebody really wants to see Brugge, I'd recommend sticking with Delft/Leiden/den Haag, all of which are much closer to A'dam (since you apparently don't have a lot of time on this trip). Perhaps do some sightseeing in Delft and then rent a bike for a couple of hours.
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Personally, if I only had a few days, I would not do either. Amsterdam has enough to see on it's own. Brugge is wonderful, but that area of the world has severe traffic. It took us over 5 hours to drive from Amsterdam to Brugge due to traffic. I have not been to Delft, but it is much closer. If you really want to do a day trip - suggest Delft.
Nov 7th, 2003, 04:27 AM
ira

Hi,

I agree with Swissgirl. With only a few days in Amsterdam, I would make a 1/2 day trip to Haarlem (Frans Hals Museum), Gouda (cheese market) or other local town.

Search this Thread