Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Friedrichroda wonderful town in the Thuringian woods

Friedrichroda wonderful town in the Thuringian woods

Oct 18th, 2002, 05:35 PM
brigitte

Friedrichroda wonderful town in the Thuringian woods

I recently spend some time in this beautiful and (very) inexpensive part of the world. If you like the Schwarzwold, you will love Thuringia. If you have any questions, let me know, and I would love to reply.

Oct 18th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Harold

Hi Brigette: I am going to be in that area in two weeks. Can you tell us more about this town. Is it accessable by train?

Oct 20th, 2002, 03:12 PM
brigitte

Yer, you can get to Friedrichroda by train quite easily. But I would recommend renting a car or bicycles to get a better feel of the area. You might have to go to a larger town to rent a car.

I stayed at a Muehle (mill) on the outskirts of the town for 35 Euro for two, breakfast included (delciious, lots of it, cold meats, eggs, brotchen, fruit, coffee etc. Wonderfully welcoming people (English spoken by mein host)and very comfortable accommodation. Great hiking trails and well marked (in German). The town is an historic spa, and is still operating. Interesting caves close by. Lots to do and see. You won't be disappointed. It is rather like the Schwarzwald but without the tourists and the prices.

Search this Thread