Fretful Floridian flying to France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One week to go before this family flies to France! I am so anxious and nervous. Have I forgotten something? Am I packing light enough, chic enough? Will I regret traveling with only a duffel bag and small carryon? Did I call all the companies that needed calling? Oh my! I have spent hours planning this trip for the family and am stressing about the details. Does anyone else go through this anxiety just before a trip?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM

If you add, "will the pet sitter be good enough for my dog?" The answer is yes.
Seriously, you've spent hours planning, you'll be fine.
Just remember all you really need are your plane tickets, your passport, your VISA card and to have fun.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Ticket, passport, money card:

Just make sure that your flight hasn't been canceled or rescheduled, your passport doesn't expire before you return, and your VISA card issuer knows you're going overseas.

But don't stress.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:48 AM
ira

Hi N,

>Does anyone else go through this anxiety just before a trip?<

No. This is the first time anyone has mentioned this.

Perhaps you need professional counseling.

Relax and enjoy your trip. Everything will be just fine.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My partner logs all the things she wants to take in her palm top then ticks them off as she packs. Does this stop her worrying? No; she is anxious. It is part of a natural reaction to the unknown.

So I suggest take somethings that you are familiar with you. "this sounds like something out of charlie brown". What I would do is advise your traveling companions that something will go wrong and their job is to spot it and complain loudly about it for the rest of your life....
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:59 AM

ATM card, 4 digit PIN....CHECK
Passport and photocopies of it CHECK
Hotel info + directions CHECK
Photocopies of guide book pages (optional) CHECK
Battery charger CHECK
Plug Converter + Transformer CHECK
Some zip-lock bags, all sizes CHECK
Extra memory for camera CHECK
International "call home" number CHECK
Mail redirect, newspapers cancelled CHECK
Remove 3rd pair of shoes from bag CHECK
Some euros (optional) CHECK
Going to bed early, getting up early, to start adjusting for jet lag CHECK

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Phone number for credit card company CHECK
Checked weather forecast (day of) CHECK
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Kepp it even simpler, Normal...

copy that list michel..<b>HAND IT</b> to one of those family members who are sitting aeroiund on the couch watching you running around enjoying yourself stressing and tell them to act on it and to get hot..and that you'll meet them at the airport.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:20 AM

and to reduce stress level...realize that even if you forgot &quot;stuff&quot; (excluding documentation) you can buy it over there.

I've travelled almost yearly to europe, and the stress level has considerably decreased. I think once you decide in your mind &quot;these are the important things I MUST bring&quot;, and then there is the rest...it helps.

For my first trip I'd have my bags packed the day before, sitting in the living room, with the only thing needed to be added being toileteries.

I also put my documentation in my carry on small bag, along with camera, house keys, cash,etc...

I've realized over the years that I don't really need all of the clothes that I originally brought, so I've cut back. You can wash clothes, you can buy clothes, you can wear one pair of comfortable shoes day and night. Lugging around big suitcases in an airport, on public transport, in a taxi..not worth it. I've travelled to France for a 5 day visit with only a carry on bag it can be done.

Holidays...get excited, not stressed!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I've done everything that Michael has suggested and my dog sitter is my sister. So I guess I'm set then. As to giving stuff to the other family members? Uh no way! Kids are in college going through finals so the last thing they want to deal with is the details of the vacation. Husband too busy working to pay for this trip! And if I'm honest, I'm a control freak and would never be able to sit back and let someone else take over!lol! I need to take some deep breaths and try to enjoy the process! Thanks to all!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM

money/docs are key
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I'm right behind you normal1983!! [hopefully...] Mine's [au Sud!] coming up in May, and I'm freaking about my updated Jamaican passport coming back to me in time to get the french visa I'll need [sadly, non US Citizens need them] btw, you guys have some awesome check topics!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM

bilboburger, are you married to my husband, too?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have forgotten things like my entire toiletry kit, an umbrella, warm clothes, etc. I have always found that everything is available at my destination. Better to take too little than too much.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Did you remember to call the bank that you have your credit cards from to let them know you will be traveling out of the country and the dates you will be traveling? If you do this you won't have to worry that the bank will freeze your account to protect you from fraud when charges show up for these &quot;exotic&quot; places.

Have a great time France is wonderful and the French very warm and welcoming. I've always loved my time in France.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Two rules of thumb for guaranteed vacationing success:

1. Take the amount of clothes you are packing, and leave half of them at home (but do take your favorites, regardless of chic. if you feel good, you'll look good)

2. Take the amount of money you are planning to spend, and double it (but do take several copies of the contact info of your cc companies, each in different bags, for peace of mine). Some cash IS required, and try not to get it from an ATM.

ok there are 3 rules
3. stop at a cafe to snack and relax, twice as often (or more) as you are inclined to do. talk with your family about what you've seen and what you liked, and you'll remember your trip all that much better.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Queen, just curious. Did you mean to say &quot;try not to get it from an ATM&quot;? Is there a better way to get cash in Europe?

Good list, by the way. I've been a few times, but it still makes me feel better to look at a list like that!
H
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Queenofstrange: I too thought that the ATM's were the best way to get cash in Europe. And that Capital One and Charles Schwab accounts didn't even charge you the 3% fee as many others do. Is there another way?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM

You are not alone. I am such a mess before trips, I've been known to get all packed and delay the trip a day or so (we fly standby anyway). There always seems like so much to do at the last minute and one of the pets seems to get sick the day before we are going. The trip to the vet just adds to the stress and takes time. Once I had to leave a sick cat and called home from Paris every day. As soon as you are on the plane, you will be fine.
All your planning will be worth it.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Please! I am from Fort Lauderdale and I miss planes all the time. Even in a foreign country. Just remember, the world is round, so eventually you will make it back to the starting point. hehe. Cash, Visa, Passport. Cash, Visa, Passport. All is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -