Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   French Riviera, St. Raphael (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/french-riviera-st-raphael-227236/)

arlene koenigsberg Jun 2nd, 2002 03:44 AM

French Riviera, St. Raphael

We are going to a resort called Residence Cap Esterel in late September. It is in the town of St. Raphael. If anyone knows about the town, or the resort please let me know. We have a free week there due to a time share purchase in Mexico. We are excited, but need some details. Thank you, Arlene K. New Jersey

ConstanceZ Oct 15th, 2003 08:51 AM

Any insight anyone?

soliera Jun 25th, 2010 10:43 PM

I am going in 2 weeks, have never been, but since no one else replied, I'll say that the Esterel coast between St Raph and Cannes is supposed to be the loveliest, can visit by train (local), bus or boat. Walks to Dramont, Agay (I believe that's possible to walk, Dramont is 7km from town, Agay further) or you could rent bikes in town. Boat ride to Isles near Cannes, hikes inland on the Esterel mts.

historytraveler Jun 26th, 2010 07:44 AM

You could google St. Raphael and also have a look at trip advisor. We will be spending a couple of days there this fall visiting friends. From my research I don't think the town itself is exceptional, but there is plenty to see and do in the area.

TPAYT Jun 26th, 2010 09:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...2C+France&aq=f

Here are several videos of St. Raphael. I didn't see your particular hotel, but then again I didn't really look at all of them. Maybe it will give an idea of the area.

scatcat Jun 26th, 2010 07:01 PM

I have been to St. Raphael several times, but only as a day trip from Nice. I'm not familiar with the resort. I really like the town. The beach area has a couple of park areas with benches. There was a pretty carousel right on the beach the times I was there. I haven't been there in about 3 years. I just walked along the beach and the harbor when I was there, so I can't help you with other things to do or see.

soliera Sep 5th, 2010 11:52 PM

Arlene, I've just returned from France, 3 days in St Raph, it was lovely as a departure point, but we didn't eat or stay in town much. We were happy to visit but preferred our terraced hotel room by the Santa Lucia port, just east of town, a 15 min walk and worth visiting if you are staying in St Raph proper.
Dinners we ate at Santa Lucia port area b/c it was closer to our hotel, and it was quaint, but be aware if you're a late-nighter, restaurants want to close the kitchen by 10pm (we were surprised it seemed so early in summer, I'd heard the French don't even go out until after that, perhaps that is the 20-somethings?
We took a 1/2 day boat ride to Ile St Marguerite but I was disappointed we could not 'land' on the Esterel coast towns (La Napoule and Theole-Sur-Mer seem particularly cozy w/ lovely places to take a swim). to get to these towns you must drive or take a local bus, neither of which were available for us.
The second day we took a boat ride to St Tropez, better than expected, we should have stayed longer (when we booked the boat we had to decide the time of departure, we said 3pm but should have taken the last boat, better still we should have stayed overnight. It does not disappoint, and there are beaches walking distance from town that are quiet and private).
Perhaps the highlight of this area was our train ride to Antibes, day 3, and in particular Cap D'Antibes, more specifically the beach Dramont. Again, should have stayed overnight: clear turquoise water, calm sea, lots of walking on a rocky trail (we did not have time to walk around the whole Cap, which is doable, but we were tied to train schedules). In Antibe, on the way to the train station, we stopped at the Grimaldi castle, Picasso museum. Should have gone through, the setting was perfect! I tell you our mistakes so you can avoid them.
I do not think St Raphael is worth spending much time in, but it is nicely situated. Did not visit Frejus, w/ Roman ruins, but old town may be worth some hours if you have spare time. I would dedicate the time to the Esterel coast if you love water, and the 'Cap' and St Tropez.
enjoy your trip and don't overpack.