Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   French Riviera Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/french-riviera-questions-252075/)

bluedawg Aug 22nd, 2002 10:17 AM

French Riviera Questions

As part of our European vacation, we will be in the French Riviera 29 Sep - 02 Oct. We are arriving in Cannes by train from Italy, and renting a car.<BR><BR>Now the questions... Where to go, what to see? Is it too cold for swimming and the beaches? How long of a drive is it from Cannes to St-Tropez? <BR><BR>Any other suggestions on fun stuff for a early 40's couple? During the day... and at night?

Paula Aug 22nd, 2002 01:00 PM

If you love art, the area is just loaded with great museums...check out some guidebooks and websites such as Francekeys.com, eurotrip.com. It will probably be too chilly to swim, but there's so much to do, you shouldn't have a problem.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 22nd, 2002 01:08 PM

Day trip east to Eze, Monaco, Menton.<BR>Then, go inland to St. Paul de Vence and the small villages on the river Loop. St. Tropez is too far. Good luck !

Mari Aug 22nd, 2002 03:05 PM

In addition to Bob's suggestions, spend a few hours in Mougin - worth a visit.

Kelley Aug 23rd, 2002 05:08 AM

I agree with the above post on Eze and Monaco. On our honeymoon, we stayed at the Chateau in Eze. Eze is this old medival city that literally sits at the top of a mountain/cliff. It has the old narrow, winding streets, etc. It is a good day trip. If you could spend one night in Eze, it would be memorable. The views are to die for! :-)

Sherri Aug 23rd, 2002 01:10 PM

Hi ...I was very disappointed in Cann; Bob's suggestions are good Monte Carlo is great; but try to go at night ; it's worth it to see the city lit up at night...pure magic.I loved the galeie Riccadonna at 7 rue Grimaldi email [email protected]<BR>Saint Tropez is a bit of a drive ; but very pretty.<BR>My favorite day trip is Saint Paul de Vance; a charming town in the hills about a half hour drive from Cann. You can walk around the charming town and go to the art galleries. Lunch at la Colmbe d' Or is a must reserve a table under the fig trees and have one of the best experiences of your life. I had the Dover Sole " like butter" not cheap ; but worth every penny reservations are a must the # is: 33(0) 93 32 80 02. It's worth it just to see the famous art collection.<BR>I was there in late Sept. of last year and had no problem swimming ...you should have good weather<BR>Viva la France<BR>to the top

mpprh Aug 23rd, 2002 01:17 PM

Hi<BR><BR>drive up to Gourdon to get an idea of what is was like before the tourists arrived.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com/<BR><BR>

jjj Aug 26th, 2002 06:29 AM

Was in Nice last year at that time, the water was cool but refreshing, not too cold to swim, and the beach was not crowded at all that late in the season.<BR><BR>

Andrew Aug 26th, 2002 08:32 AM

Beach weather will be a bit marginal but sea should be around 20 degrees C / 68F so fresh but ok.<BR><BR>Though Bob's suggestions were good, as was the one about Mougins, but to be honest the whole area is gorgeous.<BR><BR>Antibes is my favourite town down there, very beautiful with a cool market.<BR><BR>San Tropez is about 2 hours from Cannes, though you can also get a boat. If you drive, you could take the coast road past the stunning Esterel Massif - truly gorgeous and great walking possibilities around Cap Roux.<BR><BR>Old Nice should not be missed either, though you could also go there easily by train from Cannes, as driving in Nice can be a bit of a challenge.

Dan Dec 23rd, 2002 11:54 AM

Don't let anyone kid you! Cannes is pure electricity. Don't miss it. Good beaches and great views. Menton is also excellent, but much more laid back. Don't let the &quot;purists&quot; discourage you from the French Riviera. It is a great place to visit.