Reload this Page >

French Riviera Clothing

Search

French Riviera Clothing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Kathy

French Riviera Clothing

Going in April, next month, and am wondering if the women there also wear all black as in Paris. I was in Paris in Nov, 2000 and was quite surprised that 90% of them wore black. Was it the time of year? or City? Will Nice, Monte Carlo, Avignon be lighter clothing. I know it will only be in the 60's so no summer clothing but really would like to take light colored shirts, etc. Please advise if you've been there during spring in the last few years. Thanks

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:03 AM
MamaMia

Isn't French Riviera Clothing an oxymoron?<BR><BR>Seriously, you'll see people wearing black anywhere in Europe but on the Riviera in spring you'll see plenty of color, too. Linen seems to be a popular fabric.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
PB

&lt;&lt;. I know it will only be in the 60's so no summer clothing but really would like to take light colored shirts, etc&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>You might be surprised... it's been known to be in the upper 70s here in Provence and on the Riviera in April.<BR>If it's warm you'll see every imaginable type of clothing... especially in Monaco where you might even see women sweating in fur coats.<BR>PB

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Therese

The warmer the weather, the lighter the clothing. But black always works, and it could end up being cooler than you expect (as it was last April/May for me). Were I you I'd take my usual black pieces and buy whatever struck my fancy while I was there. You'll have some cute French duds and won't have to make extra room in your suitcase if you didn't have it stuffed on the way over!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Marc David Miller

Maybe in the evening, but in the daytime you will really stand out. Would you wear black in resort areas in Florida in the spring daytime?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Therese

Black during the day in Florida resort areas in the spring? Depends on the resort---my favorite is Miami, and I've never felt the least out of place there wearing black (as long the fabric and cut are appropriate). I'd feel a great deal more out of place in a tropical print shift when all around me had chosen dark colors in response to an unseasonably drear day. <BR><BR>But what I'm really suggesting to Kathy is that she pack some basics and then buy brighter stuff while she's there. Clothing in France is not particularly expensive, and resorts towns are great places to pick up light weight tops and dresses.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:56 PM
FemmFashion

Lots of khaki, cream colors and black .Lots of floral prints and black.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Carole

Hi Kathy, Thanks for posting that question - I was wondering the same. We arrive in Nice 4/17 - 4/24. When will you be there?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Bill

ttt

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:15 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Kathy

Carole,<BR>I'll be there April 11 thru the 18th. Funny thing when I posted this question I couldn't see it for a couple of days. Surprised to find all these responses. Even posted it a second time. Thanks to everyone, I'm going to dress as I would normally in April.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Kathy

Marc,<BR>I own at least two pairs of black shorts, black bikinis, tons of black sandels, black little dresses, etc so yes, I would wear black all summer. However, I do wear it alot less than in Winter. But even then we (except in NYC) do not tend to wear Black on Black like they do in Paris.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Ann

Going at the end of March so I'm still looking for more advise.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Visitor-in-Nice

We are staying in Nice at the end of August. What is the possible lowest temperature over there? I need to know what should be the warmest clothes to pack for the time. <BR>I hope it i's not a rainy season.<BR>Thanks for info