French Riviera

Mar 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

French Riviera

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe for May. Neither one of us have been. We are for sure doing starting in Rome & Florence, Italy and are having a hard time figuring out the rest of the trip. We have a total of 14 days and are ending the trip in Paris. Wondering if the "French Riviera" is "worth it.?" We are from Southern California and always experience beautiful weather, great beaches, etc.....

Wondering if this is a good place to visit for a first time to Europe or.....if it's better to get more of the "old" European culture, museums, sites, etc. Is the French Riviera more of a "lounging" kind of fun in the sun vacation....

If we decide not to do the riviera, we would do more of Italy.

Need advice please. I have no idea. Thanks so much.
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM

There's a lot to see on the Côte d'Azur; Nice is a major city with excellent museums and cultural activities. The region around Nice has lovely perched villages, fishing villages such as Villefranche-sur-Mer, the beautiful peninsula of St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, and much more.

Western Provence has the magnificent Pont du Gard, the Roman city of Arles, the Lubéron (more perched villages), the amazing ruins at Les Baux, the charming small towns of St-Rémy and Uzès, and the papal city of Avignon.

You will be spoiled for choice.
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Will you be driving, trains, or a combination?? With only 14 days, you need to be quite "efficient" with your itinerary. This means you will have to try to keep travel time between A & B at a minimum. Generally, travel into France from Florence eats up a lot of time if you take the train, and even if you drive.

I would plan on a minimum of 4 nights in Rome, 2-3 in Florence, and 4-5 in Paris. That's 10-12 nights - which doesn't leave you much time for much else. You sure don't want to loose a good portion of a day getting from Florence to Nice. I'm a former Southern Calif guy (29 years there), and we've spent 16 weeks vacationing on the Riviera & 18 in Provence (Avignon, St Remy area) - so obviously I love that region of France. I've also vacationed for many months in Italy.

For only 14 days, I would just stay in Italy. Perhaps:

- Fly to Rome & stay there for 4 nights (long trip from SoCal - you'll need time to recover from jet lag)

- Take the train to Orvieto. Visit Orvieto, rent a car, and stay in Tuscany for 4 nights in the lovely Val d'Orcia around Pienza or Montepulciano.

- Drive to Florence, return the car, and stay in Florence 2-3 nights.

- take the train to Venice, visit, stay 3 nights and leave from there.

Many people prefer starting in Venice because arriving in Venice is easier than leaving from Venice (long story).

Save Paris & France for your next trip.

Stu Dudley
If this was m
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Or another alternative is that to land in Florence ,stay 3 days.

Train to Rome and stay 4 days,fly bluexpress airline to Nice..the flight last one hour, stay 3 days with day trip to Monaco and Montecarlo,

take the TGV to Paris and finish your vacation there.

Search this Thread