Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   French Perfumes in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/french-perfumes-in-paris-946879/)

rajz7 Aug 16th, 2012 01:02 AM

French Perfumes in Paris

Hi
I am in Paris. have heard a lot about French perfumes being good and all. Pls let me know a place or a shop where I can find a good collection of famous and good perfumes and also at an affordable price.

Thanks a lot.

Raj

Avalon2 Aug 16th, 2012 01:39 AM

Cite Pharmacie corner of rue Beonaparte and Rue du Four

kerouac Aug 16th, 2012 01:47 AM

Most people go to Séphora or Marionnaud.

valtor Aug 16th, 2012 02:37 AM

I like Sephora on the Champs-Élysées .
You can try also at Galeries Lafayette

kerouac Aug 16th, 2012 02:58 AM

No need to go to the Champs Elysées just to go to Séphora -- there are 25 locations in Paris, in every area of the city. Same goes for Marionnaud.

eyemom84 Aug 16th, 2012 03:04 AM

bookmark

rajz7 Aug 16th, 2012 04:42 AM

Thanks.... so Sephora and Marionnaud ... here I come

PalenQ Aug 16th, 2012 04:56 AM

go to the two big iconic department stores at Auber-Opera metro/RER station - Au Printemps and Galleries Lafayette and on their ground floors they have extensive perfume showcases with samples, etc.

TPAYT Aug 16th, 2012 05:53 AM

Galleries Layfette has the most amazing display of perfumes. It will boggle your mind and sense of smell. I loved the scent and packaging of Nina Ricci's--"Ricci, Ricci" perfume. That gorgeous dark rose bottle with the bow on top drew me in and the scent sealed the deal. I didn't buy it when I saw it, but it was in my mind for a few days. When I saw it at the airport on the way home I snapped it up.

It's just about gone now and when we return to Paris this fall I shall buy another.

Question? Is it wise to buy perfume at the airport or not?

kerouac Aug 16th, 2012 05:57 AM

It's about the sa

kerouac Aug 16th, 2012 05:58 AM

me as buying it in the city (my finger grazed the send button!).

Christina Aug 16th, 2012 06:11 AM

I thought prices were pretty fixed on French perfumes, but don't buy a lot so am not positive. I've just never seen any difference. So I don't think you get cheap prices anywhere. The prices at the airport aren't cheap, either, I can buy it cheaper at home in the US.

Good question about the airport, as to whether it makes sense because you automatically don't have to pay the VAT, as that is the only thing I can think of that would make that any deal. OF course, if they raise the price over what it is in the city, you aren't winning there.

I did buy some Annick Goutal once at Bon Marche, I like their perfumes and like that store's ambience, but any one is fine.

AJPeabody Aug 16th, 2012 08:41 AM

Does Fragonard still sell the perfumes they make for famous brands at low prices under code names in generic bottles?

kerouac Aug 16th, 2012 09:31 AM

Actually, when you are signed up at Séphora, there are quite a few periods where you get 20% off on anything you buy.

denisea Aug 18th, 2012 12:01 PM

Not sure if it "counts" as French but Creed has been in France for about 100 years now, so for me, it's French.

My husband and I love their fragrances. You can get smaller sizes and scents that we don't have in the US.