French Kissing Tradition Endangered?

Sep 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

French Kissing Tradition Endangered?

Anyone who has friends or family in France will well know about the tradition of "fait les bse" (faye lay bees) - the bussing of first one cheek then the other and sometimes back to the other - it seems always two cheeks and sometimes a third cheek kiss

But an NPR report this morning said the tradition of what they called "fait les bse" (not sure of spelling but my French-raised son told me how 'bse' what spelled - if i heard it right - correct me please if wrong) - anyway the threat of a Swine Flu pandemic this fall, highly feared in France like other countries, has caused a great curtailing of casual cheek kissing. One mayor in one town in Languedoc has actually banned public fait les bse-ing and schools, equipped with hand sanitizers understandably must view the kissing with a wary eye.

The report even suggests that the damper on cheek bussing due to Swine Flu may actually cause this long tradition, which i really like, to die out. Hopefully no IMO

Q- My French in-laws seem to kiss twice - on each cheek but if it's a real loving kiss do it three times - what is the common practice?
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM

It is une bise or 2 bises. I heard that in a "école maternelle" (school with little children aged from 3 to 5) the pupils were told to give a little sweet to the ones they wanted to kiss instead of a bise.
In Dijon we give 2 and as long as it is not strictly forbidden, we will keep on doing it. In some other regions they give 3, but I find it disturbing!
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM

There is "french kissing" and then there is "french kissing--ooh la la!" Hate to lose either.
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

So Coco Cherie - when you meet me in the Gare de Dijon on Sept 31st (for a stay in your myhomeindijon flat - i will get a sweet but not a buss on my cheek(s)? Domage (Dommage?)

Salut

a bientot!
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Should be fun you meeting Coco on September 31st - since it doesn't exist .
Three kisses are the norm here in teh Ntherlands. No one is talking of banning them yet.

I can see that French kissing would give you the flu, but a quick peck or tow (or three) on the cheek? The most vulnerable group - young adolescents are more likely to go in for what we know as French kissing than than a bise .
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM

All over Spain men and women, and women and women, kiss twice on the cheeks when meeting. No prohibition yet...
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Which one first? Cheek - I mean

SV
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

spass - great Q - i believe my in-laws start on my left cheek then the right

curious as to know the answer.

hetismij - Coco has done bamboozled me for the last time! (quoting Andy Brown about the King Fish in Amos and Andy)
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Always the right cheek first!

The media have been having a field day with the flu business, but they also said that handshakes are probably worse than kisses because the hands are a lot more contaminated than the cheeks.
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Right cheek first.
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

so when someone kisses my right cheek that means they are looking at me but to me it would be my left cheek, right?

worse than kisses because the hands are a lot more contaminated than the cheeks> meme en France?
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Yes, you send your lips to the left to kiss the other person's right cheek.
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM

No, the opposite.
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I mean what you said was the opposite, Palenque. You definitely head to the left to kiss the person's right cheek first.
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Your right, left cheek first, so your lips go to the right. Maybe. I never think about it, just do it! If you are confronted with it just follow the other persons lead
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Oki doki - In order to do it correctly I kiss the other person's right cheek but that is then as well MY RIGHT CHEEK - but movement will be to the left...........

Gosh - this kissing etiquette is not easy..........

But thank you for the information. Now I won't confuse Kiss-receivers by interfering with their movement ending almost in touching each other's lips or ruining a hair design or even worst kick our sunglasses off.;-)

SV
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I agree with spassvogel about the right cheek. We already talked about that here and I remember that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quV0o...eature=related
If you can understand French, this one explains it well too :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI4A6qyggy4
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

hetismij - we are talking about French kissing, not Welsh, British or Dutch or

is this a pan-European thing all done the same?

a Dutch kiss sounds like something you'd have to pay for?
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:26 AM

In Spain, rather than "kissing", we put our cheeks together, making the kissing gesture with our lips, but normally we don´t touch the cheek with our lips. Right cheek first (of the kissed one).

No etiquette, it´s like shaking hands. I feel awkward in the US when shaking hands with a girl I´ve just meet, something so common for you.
Sep 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Argh Me Heartys,

Ye be needin to know the sailor's terms to get this right.

Starboard be to the right lookin forward towards the bow.

Port be to the left, lookin to the bow.

So, with that all said, be it the starboard cheek first or the port side?

dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO