French hotels heated in October?

Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

French hotels heated in October?

I know that there are certain restrictions on when European hotels can use their heating and air conditioning. Does anyone know if French hotels can use their heat in October?
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM

I'm not disputing what your are saying but have not heard this. The heat was on in the public rooms of the Paris hotel I stayed in from Sept. 20 to 28 this year. Did not want the heat on in my room but it had individual controls so I assume I could have turned it on.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:43 AM

I have never heard of any restrictions on heating in hotels in France. (There are restrictions for central heating in public housing projects, but that is not quite the same thing.)

A lot of places had the heat on during the last week of September, because it was really cold. We even turned the heat on at the office. Now it is unseasonally warm again, but for how long? 26° in Paris today.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM

make that you're not your
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM

I've never heard of any restrictions, either -- maybe if there were a super heat wave, they might restrict it during daytime hours for shortage reasons? Don't know, they do that where I live in the US.

Some hotels have their own policies as to when they turn on AC, I know, and won't have it on in October, for example. I've never had a problem with a hotel not allowing you heat in October if you need it, but I've only been in Paris during october twice.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM

I know that there are certain restrictions on when European hotels can use their heating and air conditioning.>

How do you know that seemingly erroneous information?
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM

Just got back from Paris a few days ago and our hotel was heated.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:02 AM

There are no restrictions - but there are local habits. Some Americans - esp from warmer areas - expect heat - and to a temperature - that Europeans don;t. So - if you know that being at all chilly will be a problem I would contact the hotel you're conisdering and ask.

(We had a niece from FL visit and she kept asking us to turn the heat up when it wasn't even on - she was cold if it ever went below 75 - and we in NYC we don;t keep residential temps that high - too uncomfortable never mind a huge waste of fuel.)
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM

We've fond that when the heat is on in European hotels, it's at a higher temperature than we would use at home in the U.S. That was particularly true in Britain.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM

"I know that there are certain restrictions on when European hotels can use their heating and air conditioning."

Not true -- but many establishments do make their own decisions about heat/air conditioning. It is a budget thing, not a regulation.

Many places do turn the heat off from May/June til the Fall. But you'll have to contact the specific hotel and ask.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM

We just returned a couple days ago from a trip where we spent the last 3 nights in an Angers hotel. My DH has one of those digital temperature thingamabobs on his key ring, and it was reading 60 degrees F. in the room around 6 pm. As a cold wind was blowing outside and we weren't sure how cold the night would get, we called down to the reception to see if the heaters would be working.

Were told it was "not yet the season," so no they weren't going to come on.

Turned out to be a non-issue for us, but since the OP asked about heaters being turned on, thought I'd throw this out into the fray here.

Happy travels!
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM

The reason I'm pretty sure the heat was on in our hotel is that it was too warm for me and I had to open the window.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM

I'm interested as to who told you European hotels "can't" use their heat during certain times. Why??

I've come across some hotels that don't activate their air conditioning until certain months, so I guess it stands to reason that the heat would be the same, but I don't think it's due to any European regulations! It's likely just an individual property's decision based on typical seasonal temperatures and makes sense from an energy conservation standpoint, since it would prevent people from wasting energy on air con that wasn't needed, for example. We all know people who automatically turn these things on without thinking about them being necessary at the time...
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for your replies. Didn't mean to put out erroneous information. When we were Italy in early May of 2009, it was chilly one night and we couldn't get any heat in our room. When we asked the manager about it, he said that EU regulations restrict hotels from using heating and AC during two months of the year, May being one. That was the basis for my statement.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM

"When we asked the manager about it, he said that EU regulations restrict hotels from using heating and AC during two months of the year, May being one."

Maybe the manager was pulling your leg -- the hotel doesn't use heat in May so "Let's blame the EU bureaucrats and get this guy off our backs."
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM

I think the estimable janisj has it right, yet again.

What you run into often in apartment buildings and hotels in the US is heating and cooling systems that pump hot or cold water through heat exchangers in the various units, each of which has an individual fan. It is annoying to have an especially hot or cold day at the beginning of a new season because the system can't adapt at all. It is either all hot or all cold until the dreaded changeover date.

Sometimes, you can improvise. After suffocating half the night in the Pho-nix P-rk hotel in Washington DC, I used my Swiss Army knife to remove the screws from the radiator cover, lift it off and shut off the heat valve. Alas, no more Swiss Army knives for carryon only travelers.