French hotels & cars

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 09:58 AM
David

French hotels & cars

I have booked several nights in Paris with the Ibis chain (Ibis Paris Cambonne Tour Eiffel). I am thinking of booking some of their other locations in Dijon and surronding areas. They are pretty good values I think but are they fairly clean and safe? Also are there any car rental companies to stay away from in France?

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Rex

David,

Welcome to the Fodor's Europe forum.

I stayed in the Ibis La Villette (put up there because of a misconnect by Air France), and I would characterize it as clean to anyone's standards. I have heard it said that the area is not as safe as other parts of Paris. I don't think that you can generalize about whether Ibis properties are generally in safe areas or not. They are typically concrete-box, cookie-cutter dull and character-less, but if it is only (or primarily) a place to sleep, that might be all right, for some travelers. The Ibis La Villette had a France Telecom internet terminal that ran off an ordinary telecarte, charged by the minute. Pretty handy.

I remember walking by the Ibis Cologne (Germany) many years ago, and felt like there was a bit of a "drifter" crowd, milling around outside, but it was a warm summer night, and I was less familiar with that city (or any of Europe) then. It left a negative impression with me. I think that they are probably more boring than undesirable.

As for car rentals(s), I strongly recommend securing a rental (reservation) before you go, that you can cancel (or even no show) with ZERO penalty. The sources I recommend most often are:

www.autoeurope.com
www.its-cars-hotels.com
www.kemwel.com
www.travelocity.com

The first one may be the only name you need to know.

While there are no specific companies I think you should avoid, I will relate this one anecdote about one MODEL of car. I rented in Avignon in fall 99, and got a Skoda (made somewhere in the former Yugoslavia, I think). The transmission more or less went out on the fourth day, and the guy at the Hertz office (where I limped it back in said) - - "yeah, well it's a Skoda - - pretty much says it all!" They exchanged me into another car with no hassles or questions - - so, good company, (maybe) bad car.

Come back often and ask more questions as your trip plans evolve - - and have a great trip to France!

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Greg

I have used IBIS hotels on a number of occasions and they will be OK - they are normally 2 star hotels, quite clean, usually with carparking, and very standard. They can be useful if you dont have time to check out other hotels - maybe you are ariving at a town late in the day - at least you know what you will get. One thing to note is that these are the sort of hotels that are used by commercial travellers and they will often be located on the edges of towns where the commercial estates/factories are so don't count on having apleasant stroll around town from the hotel. They do have central locations, you just need to check the map.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Ellen

Hi. I have stayed at the IBIS Cambronne in Paris and found it to be acceptable. I also stayed at the IBIS Center location in Dijon. The location in Paris is just adjacent to the Cambronne metro. You can walk to the Eiffel Tower and get to all you will want to see in Paris. The hotel is actually quite large and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are clean, safe, small and functional. I recall the same aspects with the Dijon IBIS.

I used to stay in IBIS before becoming internet savvy! Prior to contacting hotels and finding good recommendations, I felt very comfortable with the IBIS chain. They are often, but not always, in a good location. I've not stayed at one that was dirty or unacceptable. I rarely stay at IBIS any more as I feel I can "do better" meaning same price, good location but accomodations which reflect more local charm. For a first time venture, you won't really go wrong with IBIS in my opinion.
Ellen
[email protected]

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Rex

topping real questions, seeking to get things back to travel, even if only a little bit...

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 05:35 PM
Fred

Ibis Hotels generally-
Rooms are generally described as very small, generic and bland. A simple place to sleep at night, clean and functional. No amenities. Very small plain rooms, very plain hotels They are clean, safe, and relatively inexpensive. A clean place to get a night's sleep for a fairly good price. For more Paris information e-mail me [email protected]