Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French hotel websites or hotel suggestions

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:01 AM
Ellen

we'll be in France in the spring and need hotel suggestions in or near Chalons-sur-Marne (4 nights); Verdun (4 nights) ; Wassy (2 nights); Dijon; Lyon; Nimes/Arles; Toulouse; Bordeaux; Poitiers/Tours; Paris (5 nights).

We'll be traveling by car (except in Paris) so parking is an issue.

Anyone find any great websites for search and booking hotels? Exploring some of this more minor towns?

Thanks for all responses. Ellen

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:23 AM
Fred

Why not write to each of the tourist offices of those towns and ask the for hotel information, map of the city, restaurants - whatever they have. Address to:
Office de Tourisme
name of town
France
For more Paris information e-mail me [email protected]

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:59 AM
Betty

Hi, Ellen. Here are a couple of sites I have used: http://digital.france.com/hotels/

http://www.fhr.fr/cgi-bin/WebObjects/fhr.woa/wa/index?

If you can deal with the French you can also look on Yahoo France. Under Exploration Geographique, click on France, then departements or villes to find the place you're interested in. Unfortunately, you may not find a lot on the web for smaller towns. If you need further help, let me know. Bonne chance!

Jul 1st, 2001, 01:54 PM
Rex

I believe that www.webscapades.com might be useful to try - - I have used only one single time (good experience), and for Paris only, but I think they have expanded their coverage. And others may have given favorable reports about using them on this forum, I think.

and www.logis-de-france.com is a useful resource for all of France (but not so much for Paris or big cities).

the Romantik and Charme et Relaxe chains have properties in France as well, I think (though not so extensive).

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 1st, 2001, 02:52 PM
Wendy

Ellen,

What is your budget? I have two hotels to recommend, but they are expensive- in Lyon, we paid about $300/ night, and in Paris, $400. Anyway, in Lyon we stayed at the amazing Cour des Loges, a hotel renovated from three buildings of the 14th-17th century, right in the middle of Vieux Lyon. The hotel has an upper floor pool, and smallish- midsize guest rooms decorated with paintings that are for sale. The staff was impressive and extremely knowledgeable.
In Paris,we often stay at the Relais St. Christine, a hotel carved out of a former monastery in the 6th arrondissment. The hotel only has about twenty (?) rooms, so the service is spectacular, and the rooms while small,have excellent mattresses and decent sized bathrooms with all the amenities. Plus, the location is great! We can walk easily to Notre Dame ( 10 min) or the Louvre in about fifteen minutes, as well as St. Germain which is right around the corner. We love it there. If these hotels are too pricey, I can recommend others in Paris- esp. Hotel Fleure, also I believe in the 6th, which runs about $125 per night. Let me know! Have a great time!

Jul 1st, 2001, 02:58 PM
Wendy

Ellen,

Some more info... DIdn't realize you were going to Poitiers, too. We stayed at the Grand Hotel d'Europe there, two years ago for our friends' wedding. It was about $80 per night. The hotel itself is quite pretty and well located, but the rooms were nothing special. From Poitiers, we went to La Rochelle, which we liked a lot better. The beach scene was very interesting, and the town offered a lot more to do than Poitier. Too, it's on the train line to Bordeaux. Let me know if you need any additional info. All the best!

Jul 1st, 2001, 09:10 PM
Joyce

Ellen, you might try www.smallandeleganthotels.com/Paris. We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Ferrandi, which is on this site. Hope this helps. Joyce

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:18 PM
Chris

In Lyon, the business guests stay at Grande Hotel Mercure. There is also a Carlton in the center of the city which someone liked too. Not in city central, but a $5 cab ride (at most) is a Hilton (only a couple of years old).

Near Lyon is Perouges (30 min or so), a medieval city. I understand the rates are not astronomical, and the people that visit from the Paris office love to stay there. You stay in the city itself. Very cool.

If you need info on Lyon, feel free to email me.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:58 AM
chris

Strayed at the Hotel des Beau Arts in Lyon for 2 nites. They offer buy one get one free on the weekend. This is a 3 starr hotel-good size rooms about $150.00(US) per nite. It is steal if you can stay 2 nites on the weekend.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:52 AM
Lori

I second what Chris said. We stayed there in May. Great location, and a steal if you get the 2 for 1 Lyon Weekend special.

Jul 6th, 2001, 12:24 AM
Maggie

Suggest the mega site on France called:
angloFrance.net. It will provide you with hours and hours of links.
As you surf through the different sites, try to determine what type of place you want to stay in: hotel, B&B, gite, other vacation rental, etc. Also you will get an idea of how cheap or expensive a place you will want. Hotels in France are ranked by a government agency into categories from one to four stars. B&Bs are ranked from one to four ears of corn.
Suggest, if you are in the States, that you get books by Karen Brown and/or Rick Steves.
Good luck and happy travels!

Jul 6th, 2001, 01:47 AM
Mika

Accor.com is the answer for you.