Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   French Chocolates Sont Arrivees! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/french-chocolates-sont-arrivees-751657/)

PalenQ Dec 4th, 2007 07:23 AM

French Chocolates Sont Arrivees!

Et rapidment sont disparus

Pardon my French, but i'm esctaic because my annual box (500 g) of French chocolates has arrived by post and quickly disappearing

Here's what i got 42 bonbons of:

Carillon, Arpege, Mandoline, Harmonie, Accord, Chanterelle, Aubade, cantate, Comptine, Melopee, Doremi, Canto, Andante, Melodie, Solfege

and one nameless one wrapped in red foil with some cherry liqueur inside - my favorite!

trafaelwyr Dec 4th, 2007 07:55 AM

Since I'm such a glutton for chocolate:

1) where'd they come from?

2) translations for the descriptions you listed?

nolefan1 Dec 4th, 2007 08:00 AM

PalenQ... what establishment did you order yours from? We brought back some a couple of weeks ago and they too are disappearing faster than I anticipated. We were staying in the 7th. just around the corner from Les Invalides and Eiffel tower and there was a chocolate shop that was run by the sweetest gentleman. He gave my daughter samples of everything in the store (of which she then bought over the course of a week.) I can't remeber the name of the shop. I do know it had a bright blue and green awning.

cocofromdijon Dec 4th, 2007 08:00 AM

>and one nameless one wrapped in red foil with some cherry liqueur inside - my favorite!< Miam! I like them too

Next time, ask for a box of Mon Chéri to get those ones only.
http://www.ferrero.fr/cheri.htm

What is the trademark you received?

Names are not descriptions, names only :-)

PalenQ Dec 4th, 2007 08:13 AM

1- well my in laws (actually ex- but just like friends now) are not extravagant so i think they may be ordinaire - which means in American context still extraordinaire!

Lutti Chocolatier is on the box, which i suspose was bought at Carrefour

<lutti no 23 Splendore: Collection de Chocolats noirs, blancs et au lait> <48 bonbons

Solfege: Chocolat noir avec amandes entieres de Californie

Canto: Cho au lait at fourrage au parline orne d'une noisette entiere

Melopee: Choc blanc, pate truffee fantasie

Melodie: Chocolate noire avec noisettes entieres

Carillon: Fourage au praline noisettes avec eclats de fevres de cacoa enrobe de chocolat noir

Aubade: Interieur au pralines noisettes et grains de nougative enrobe de chocolat au lait et eclats de noisette

Arpege: Interieur au praline noisettes ete Crepe Dentelle renrobe de choc au lait

Harmonie: Ganache chocolate enrobe de choc noir et amandes

Cantate: Glanduja avec grains de noisette, noix de coco et riz enrobe de choc au late

Accord: Interieur au praline et grains de nougatine enrobe de chocolat au lait et eclats de noisette

Doremi - chocolat noir fourre d'une ccerise et eau-de-vie (one i said had red foil and booze inside - picture did not have red foil - my favorite and all of these are now history!)

Mandoline - Interieur au praline noisettes et grains de nougatine enrobe de chocolat au lait et eclats de noisette

Andate: Chocolat au lait et fourrage caramel avec une pointe de sel de Guerande

I've eaten one of each kind and hope to spirit the rest away for Christmas - sure! Once you crack the plastic wrapping it's all over

France (and Belgium) does have great great chocolate - even this i expect plebian assortment.

PalenQ Dec 4th, 2007 08:17 AM

Coco - yes that has happened before - the chocolate balls with a shot of eau-de-vie in them!

And other ones - these are bigger and very sugary coated and all kinds of bright colors - they crack - it's a pure sugard shell and then there is a bigger shot of i think brandy inside them.

much more potent and those can't eat too many at once - not chocolate but just sugar and brandy (or whatever)

forget the name of these.

I also got a box of marons glaces, glazed chestnuts, which are by far my favorite French sweet - that box practically disappeared the day it came before i got Sylvain to take the rest away.

Underhill Dec 4th, 2007 08:56 AM

For super-good and super-expensive chocolates, try zChocolates.com. Wow!

kappa Dec 4th, 2007 09:00 AM

Le chocolat = masculin

arrivé (No 2nd e).

PalenQ Dec 4th, 2007 09:12 AM

merci Prof Kappa

j'essaye de rapeller!

kappa Dec 4th, 2007 09:27 AM

:D

cocofromdijon Dec 4th, 2007 09:35 AM

Lutti is well known for sweets, but I don't know their chocolates.
I found your box:
http://www.lamylutti.com/fr/marques/indchoco.htm

cocofromdijon Dec 4th, 2007 09:37 AM

Kappa you should correct him again!

With your help and mine on another thread, he will pass his baccalaureat very easily ;-)

kerouac Dec 4th, 2007 09:41 AM

Bertrand Delanoë, the mayor of Paris, brought my mother the annual box of chocolate in her nursing home yesterday (he has to visit A LOT of nursing homes). It is an elegant "Paris 2008" box (no religious holiday reference, of course) with photographs of various bridges on the front this year (the photo changes every year).

This evening I opened the box and we started on them. Excellent.

kappa Dec 4th, 2007 09:46 AM

> Kappa you should correct him again!

Yes, I knew ( rappeler > se rappeler) but how many correction can he take a day :D ? Anyway I don't dare pretend to be a prof, with you and other French native/long time residents around. Perhaps I can correct only when the mistakes are basic ones like these.

PalenQ Dec 6th, 2007 07:41 AM

I do appreciate any help, merci and i need a lot before the BAC

Et les chocolates maintenant sont tous disaparus!

Bonne Noel!

sandypaws3 Dec 6th, 2007 07:54 AM

PalenQ,
Mmmm... chocolate! I ordered a box of chocolates once from zChocolates.com and enjoyed them immensely :-)

Sandy

sandypaws3 Dec 6th, 2007 08:08 AM

I love the Cote d'Or candy bars -- not French, though, but Belgian -- that I always buy at Monoprix when we're in Paris, and a couple of years ago I did a search to see if I could find them. I even e-mailed the candy company. However, they responded that Cote d'Or weren't to American's tastes, so I ordered them from Chocosphere at Christmas a couple of years in a row. This year, I have been buying them often at, of all places, Wal-mart. They also have them on amazon.com.

Chocosphere has many imported chocolates, among them 3 French brands, and their service was good, but I did not see your brand of chocolates.

http://www.chocosphere.com/

The Cote d'Or candy bars are called "Sensations Lait Intense Milk Chocolate", which is a very intense milk chocolate around a dark chocolate center.

Sandy

PalenQ Dec 6th, 2007 08:25 AM

I've had my share of Cote d'Or bars as well. !!!!

Godiva just doesn't taste as good now that i know it's owned by Campbell Soup! (at least i think)

cocofromdijon Dec 6th, 2007 08:30 AM

How come Cote d'Or is Belgian since it is in Burgundy? ;-)
Their elephant has a good place in the supermarkets in France.

trafaelwyr Dec 6th, 2007 10:09 AM

PalenQ - Godiva has been owned by Campbells since 1966 (according to Wikipedia). Apparently a controlling interest in the company was sold to Pepperidge Farm, part of Campbell, which later acquired the rest of the company. Two years later, Godiva began production of its chocolate in Reading, Pennsylvania. Yep, all this courtesy of Wikipedia. Anyways...

Speaking of chocolate companies owned by corporations, Milka is owned by Kraft.