Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French chateau experts, a bit of help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you familiar with any chateau in the Loire or Burgundy regions which is similar in appearance and accommodation to this:

http://www.tennessus.com/

Thanks,
Linda
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM

This web site lists a few castle lodgings in the regions you're interested in.

www.ila-chateau.com

I found it by looking for the hotel in Fere-en-Tardenois in the Champagne region, a bit north and east for you. I stayed at Chateau de Fere in 2001 and thought it spectacular.

www.ila-chateau.com/fere/index.htm

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM
rex

Seems like many of the places listed in here are similar:

http://www.bienvenue-au-chateau.com/index.html

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Sorriso,

Are you just looking for a nice château to stay in or do you have something more specific in mind?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Whew, in one way I'm glad to find only one message since last night. While I was at work today I realized I should have mentioned that I have the following search sites so others don't need to recommend these: au-chateau, chateauxandcountry, chateauxhotels, frenchconnections.co.uk, relaischateaux, chateaux-france.

Underhill, we're looking for a chateau in which to spend one or two nights on our way to the Nimes area. I believe we'll be driving from outside Paris and wending our way south. As this trip isn't until March I have plenty of time to daydream and plan.

DH, as you remember is the tall guy who enjoys a "free" hotel breakfast and is somewhat reluctant about the whole France thing. I'm trying to really impress him and the Tennessus chateau would be his idea of a cool place to stay (turrets, moats, no frou-frou decorations or toile). Does that answer the question?

Thanks for the assistance,
Linda
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM

...try the relais et chateaux group..not all are chateaux but some are..have a good look and dream
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Here's one that your husband might like: the Château d'Igé, in the village of Igé in southern Burgundy. It's definitely not frou-frou and doesn't have a moat, as it's not a fortified castle, but you can see from the hotel's web site that it looks authentic.

The hotel is one of the less-expensive member of the excellent Relais et Châteaux group (not a chain; all the hotels are individually owned and operated). The restaurant is very good, and the grounds are pleasant. The hotel is just far enough off the autoroute to have quiet surroundings.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM

P.S.

The Château d'Igé has several times won the Relais et Châteaux award for "best breakfast." Maybe DH would find that appealing?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Coincidence or just my safe and predictable taste? As I was reading the thread, I thought "Why not Chateau d'Ige?" and suddenly everyone was recommending it. I have not stayed there though friends have. But I can vouch for the immediate neighbourhood: that southern part of Burgundy is splendid (a little cool in March???) I recommend visiting Cluny and Tournus and wandering through the glorious hilly and unspoiled environs: the Brancion/ Cormatin area particularly recommended.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Doble_Vergasser

We spent one night in a castle/ chateaux near Caen last April (2003). It was part of the Bienvenue au Chateaux. A fantastic experience (and $130 per night total for three).

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

topping for the weekend fodorites!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Have a look at the site for the Châteaux and Hotels de France:

www.chateauxhotels.com

One in the Loire Valley that I would highly recommend is the Domaine de Beauvois, near the Cheateau de Luynes. It's one of the nicest in the area and is a Relais et Chateaux member. But at the C&H web site you will find quite a few others.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a partial list,

www.au-chateau.com