French Cell Phone Rental

Sep 16th, 2002, 08:17 AM
DGP

French Cell Phone Rental

I am trying to find a place to rent a Franch cell phone for a client of mine. We are not looking for a US phone set up to be used in France. Any one know where I can find something?

Sep 16th, 2002, 08:20 AM
StCirq

You may find it is easier and cheaper for your client to BUY a phone when he/she gets to France - a pay-as-you-go type can cost as little as $50 (though you might want to spend a bit more for a sturdier model). He/she could always sell it to someone else if this was a one-time trip.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:25 AM
elaine

Where to buy/ rent cell phone in Paris? Can I do so at CDG airport?

Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Rex

I have been a vocal advocate of the advantages of buying a phone after arrival in Europe - - based on seeing phone stores everywhere in 1999 and 2000 and having a good experience with a phone purchase (in Italy) in 2001. I subsequently "sold it forward" to another traveler.

And this may be a different perception based on destinations, but I just returned from eight days in France (Normandy and Brittany), and I feel like I did not see phone stores anywhere. I wonder if a shakeout of too many mobile phone vendors has occurred, or if we were simply in towns too little (or just weren't looking - - I really didnt care if I got one).

I do NOT recall seeing any phone store jump out at me at CDG airport. But then again, I did not make a concerted effort to find one.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:20 PM
topper

topping

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
abc

Rex:

I have found the solution to that problem. Buy a GSM dual band or tri band here. You can get a Motorola tri band for as little as $90 and a Nokia 3310 for under $110. These are unlocked phones which means they can be used in any European country by buying a SIM service pack.

I've only been to Paris and branches of the British chain Carphone Warehouse called the Phone House can be found in several locations as well as branches of Orange and sfr. In the sprawling Chatelet shopping region, there are Orange and SFR stores in the mall as well as a Phone House branch where you can buy the service pack.

You can also buy the service pakcs for various countries here before you leave at a moderate mark up. The Orange service pack is called a Mobilcarte in France and costs 30 Euro there with 10 Euro worth of call credit. It is available for something like $50 here. Do a yahoo search on French sim cards and it will direct you to several of the internet merchants.

You cay also go into Carphone Warehouse stores in London if you are starting there and buy a French mobilcarte service pack for £20 just a little over the 30 euro tag in France. Carphone warehouse also sells service packs for Italy, Spain, Portugal and the Republic of Ireland pretty much at cost. In that way, if you are travelling via London, you can get the sim pack in advance, place it in your unlocked phone and you are set. The nice thing about buying the phone here is that it is unlocked and can be used again and again with different sim packs in various countries. Each country has different policies regarding length of validity etc. Just do a yahoo shopping search for Nokia 3310, a phone I heartily recommend and you will see loads of places come up selling the phone for under $110.

You can also get a helpful accessory called a dual sim cover. It does just what it says. Say you're going to England and France and back to England. This cover replaces your regular cover on the phone...it has a ribbon attached to a sort of sim card that goes into the sim card slot in the phone and you can put two different sim cards in the cover. So when in England, you have an English cell phone. When in France, you have a French cell phone yet you only have 1 cell phone.

Boy do I love these new technological toys.....

abc